Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra and the tourpak

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008 | 03:03 PM
vanlente
Advanced

I've just about finished converting my UC to all quick releases. I put a two piece mustang day tripper seat on, while I love it it is much narrower and hiding the wires is much harder. Anyone with experience I have two questions:

1) What did you do with the passenger headset input? Even with the tourpack back on the bracket used to mount this is removed as it uses the license plate bracket with a spring to add tension. I'd like to find a good way to permanently mount it.
2) I plan on putting in the AM/FM antennae in the front wing. If I am sitting on the bike and look back to my left is that the AM/FM or CB antennae?

Old 12-11-2008 | 05:20 PM
wkenddad
Tourer

I had the dealer install the Quick Disconnect TourPack mount when I bought the bike.
It takes about 3 minutes to disconnect the following:
  1. Am/Fm antenna lead from tourpack
  2. Am/Fm antenna from tour pack and attach to bike.
  3. Connector to left and right speakers.
  4. Connector for CB
  5. Passenger comm outlet at spring
  6. Connector for tourpack lighting.
  7. Remove tourpack form bike.
It took me longer to type this than it would if I actually did it.

Then I simply connect the passenger backrest and ack to the quick disconnect station and off I go....

Old 12-12-2008 | 10:15 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rfultra
Yes, the tour pack can be made detachable. HD sells the kit, and others may also. And welcome to the forum by the way, from Missouri.
what's the weather like in Herkie? I lived 50 years in MO. Cape and Soulard neighborhood St. Louis city.

Old 12-12-2008 | 07:20 PM
tn_chopper_man
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Seminolebagger
Yes, it's just a bit more complex due to the additional wiring and antenna for the cb. Go for the Ultra though, you will love it. I thought I wanted to make mine detachable but now I can't imagine not having the tour pak on. I use it instead of the saddlebags for primary storage.

SB
Ditto on the above....Can't ride without mine...Very functional which outweighs everything else for me.

Old 12-22-2008 | 09:30 AM
gregory1
Advanced

I made the tourpak on my 08 Ultra quick detach using all HD hardware and Deutsch connectors on all electrical including the passenger headset. I prefer it off when I am riding solo but wife likes it on for her. It takes 5 minutes off or on. All connectors hidden under seat. Very clean and NO regrets. What is the best inner fairing mounted am/fm antenna ?

Old 12-22-2008 | 01:09 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

I would take my tourpak off, but then I would need to find a new wife and the trade in cost on those are way too high! I thought I would want the removable when I bought the bike, and the dealer said to ride it for a month before I decided. Best advise ever, now I can't imagine not having it back there.

Whatever you do, Enjoy!

Old 12-22-2008 | 01:46 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master

Yep, once you have the tour pack on and get used to it, it will probably come off less and less until it just stays on anyway. So get the Ultra and don't look back.

Old 12-22-2008 | 03:31 PM
dowhat
Tourer

Also did it to mine, not that hard to do, all of the wires going into the rear speaker pods, have a factory con right there with room to pullout, unhook and that is done. I did move my light plugs to the outside of the tour pack, hiden ant, c.b. and headset tucked under seat and in front of battery, we don't use them anyway.