Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HowTo: Make an MP3 disk for the Harmon Kardon

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:10 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default HowTo: Make an MP3 disk for the Harmon Kardon

I've had some problems making an mp3 music disk that would play in the Harmon Kardon on my RG. So I've figured out the problems and can now make the disks. I am sure others probably have run into the same problems so I thought I'd just post a little cook book on what I discovered. I am using windows vista so that's what these instructions are for. Someone else might want to post the differences when using other operationg systems, like the mac, or even other windows versions, like windows 95.

Here's my cookbook...

1. The music must be in MP3 format. The HK player won't recognize WMA (windows media) format or any other.

2. You can rip the above format using the windows media player. Just select the options menu item under the "rip" tab and set it to MP3 before you start, otherwise you'll get the wrong format. Then put in your music CD and press the "start rip" button. ( by the way, rip means - copy the music from the cd to your computer )

3. Here's the step I was doing wrong. I was using the windows explorer to burn the mp3 disk, and getting the wrong format. You should use the windows media player. Under the "burn" tab select the options menu item. Set the playlist type to "M3U", not "WPL". Windows will default the playlist to "WPL" (windows play list), and your disk will not work in anything other than a windows player. If you set it to "M3U" the disk will work in all industry standard players, including the Harmon Kardon on your bike. (Trust Microsoft to change the industry standard!! Typical windows crap)

4. Also under the burn tab make sure you select "Data CD".

Burn the disk, when it's done it will automatically close it out, or finalize it. Then it will work in the HK. It's really nice, it shows the artist and song name on the display when the song starts. I really like it.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:23 AM
StreetGeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zeus - thanks for the tips. I work with computers and had burned one CD that didn't work and never went back to try something else. Never thought to check the playlist setting so now I know what the problem was. Personnally, I like the HK and have the stock speakers. Never have any probs with either. Rock on!

Old 12-08-2008, 03:53 AM
CDN. RG
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah,thanks man,I have been wanting to figure this out since I got the bike,your cook book makes it look easy.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:26 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Zeus,
I'm a complete idiot when it comes to burning CD's, so naturally I have a few questions.
#1 under the Rip Tab Audio quality Smallest size or Best Quality or somewhere in between
#2 Does the 80 minutes of music on a CD equal the amount of time it will take to rip.

Thanks

Old 12-08-2008, 06:24 AM
Araba Shriner
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried this for my '05, and the bike's stock head unit would not read the CD but it plays fine in my truck. There must be something with the older head units.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:14 AM
parrothead306
Cruiser

thanks for the cookbook for everyone. I personally use itunes (i just think its easier), but the steps given are great

Old 12-08-2008, 07:16 AM
hdpearl70
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never did like media player to burn music. I use Nero for mine, never had any issues for 10 yrs. now. Give it a try

Old 12-08-2008, 07:50 AM
jrdfatboy
Tourer

How about getting music off of my i tunes list? I have tried burning a cd but it would not play in anything.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:55 AM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Or you can make an MP3 CD...

right out of Windows Explorer:

1. open Explorer and go to the directory where the music you want to burn to a CD is stored.

2. Hit Ctrl-A to hightlight all the songs (hold down the Ctrl key to deselect songs you don't want)

3. right click on the highlighted songs and you'll see a message balloon that tells you that you have files waiting to be written to the CD. Click the balloon then choose "write these file to CD".

4. You can then put in a CD name (you don't have to do this), click "next" and choose "make data CD". You're done!!

I've found this is less confusing to those of us that are "easily amused, easily confused".

Old 12-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: HowTo: Make an MP3 disk for the Harmon Kardon