Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HowTo: Make an MP3 disk for the Harmon Kardon

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's actually a piece of cake to burn them with the method supplied above.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FLoTR
Ya'll keep goin with this Itunes stuff. That's what I use and someone told me to burn a bunch of regular cd's from Itunes and then rip them into windows media in the mp3 format. Sounds like a lot of trouble. SNS, I agree. Itunes is waaaay too restrictive but since I have multiple Ipods, they kinda got me by the marbles. I have the plug n play for the Ipod but I really don't like to have the pod vibrating around in the cold glove box.
I have to try this. There has to be a way around their bs licensing.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:44 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang951
I have to try this. There has to be a way around their bs licensing.
if using Itunes, here's how:

If songs are purchased, they're protected. (but you can do it)

Burn them 14-16 songs to a CD in proprietary format

make sure your itunes import settings are set to MP3

Insert the burned CD and import the songs
it will ask you if you want to overwrite your library or import as new, choose new.

Once you have all the songs you want in your library as MPEGS, then drag and drop those MPEGS into as new playlist and then burn that list to a new CD as MP3s.

This works, took allot of trying but it works.
Follow these steps exactly.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior

Thanks Rodeo. I will. I have about 12 songs that I bought from ITunes that I cant get on a disk right now because of that. After I realized I would have problems, I switched to Amazon. You can use the songs on any player and it automatically imports them into Itunes.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gpp
not too start a flame but a mac sure is alot easier to burn these cd,s than a pc.
I haven't tried a Mac, but I don't see how it could be any easier than on my PC.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:50 PM
jayman720
Tourer
Default iTunes / aac / mp3 / et al...

First off, iTunes IS what it IS. It's a great "store," if you know how to use it. (Or circumvent it, be it the case...)

Here's the dealio:

Purchased iTunes music (until recently) was sold as a protected aac file. It has copy protection on it, so you can't go and burn a million CDs for everyone & their brother. This was deemed necessary by the recording industry.

NOW - all of that is (partially) changed. Music is now being sold as DRM (Digital Rights Management) free tracks. Or having NO copy protection. They still need to be converted to mp3 files, to play in the HK. (Which can be done if they aren't protected by going to the advanced menu, and selecting "Create mp3 version.") Otherwise, if the files ARE protected, you'll have to burn them to a CD (be careful - the DRM will only allow you to burn files SEVEN TIMES - again, recording industry's decision) and REimporting them into iTunes. (NOTE: Under preferences, you should have the "import" setting set to import as an mp3, not aac.)

So - that's probably MORE than you wanted to know!

Additionally - I had an issue with iTunes burned mp3 CDs skipping some songs. The HK would just show the number, then move on to the next track. I finally figured out that it was the album artwork that was causing this glitch. If you don't use album artwork, you should be good to go.

Jayman

Old 01-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jayman720

Additionally - I had an issue with iTunes burned mp3 CDs skipping some songs. The HK would just show the number, then move on to the next track. I finally figured out that it was the album artwork that was causing this glitch. If you don't use album artwork, you should be good to go.

Jayman

Had the same issue was was wondering what the hell was causing it. Glad you found out!! I have been using the artwork. Do you know if there is a way around this. Getting tired of the 20 out of 148 songs playing.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 PM
jayman720
Tourer

Originally Posted by Stang951
Had the same issue was was wondering what the hell was causing it. Glad you found out!! I have been using the artwork. Do you know if there is a way around this. Getting tired of the 20 out of 148 songs playing.
Just select all of the songs in the playlist you're burning, "get info" on them (right click on a PC, command-I on a mac) then check the checkbox by the artwork area.

This should set all of the artwork to be blank.

It drove me NUTS for 3 months, until I finally figured it out.

Sometimes the artwork doesn't effect the file, other times it does.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:39 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,334 Likes on 2,526 Posts

Originally Posted by gpp
not too start a flame but a mac sure is alot easier to burn these cd,s than a pc.
not to fan a flame, but not really. it all depends on what you are comfortable with. some folks make things more difficult than it needs to be, and some others are just not that 'experienced' with the process. on my windows pc, i can burn a disk in a snap. on a mac that i looked at in the store, i was confused as heck......

Old 04-20-2009, 09:55 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

I just found this and it was so helpful I thought I'd give it a bump to page one so anyone who is wondering how to make a MP3 CD can get it straight. It sure was easy using your 'cookbook' Thanks! I now have 4 disks with thousands of songs that'll play in all my vehicles and my Glide also!

Quick Reply: HowTo: Make an MP3 disk for the Harmon Kardon