Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HowTo: Make an MP3 disk for the Harmon Kardon

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks

Old 12-08-2008, 02:47 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
Probably somewhere in between is best. the 128 kbps is a good compromise. In reality, you probably aren't going to hear the difference anyway because you'll have your helmet on and there will be wind and engine noice. But if you take your disk and play it on a home stereo for example you might notice a lower quality if it was ripped at "smallest size". So pick the middle setting, 128 is good.

It only takes a minute or so to rip an entire music CD. I suppose it depends on the player that is conneced to your pc, but the modern ones run 48 times or 72 times faster than normal, so count on a minute or two per CD.
Thanks Zeus,
I did everything you said and now have a single disc with 107 of my favorite songs.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:48 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bdp
Thanks Zeus,
I did everything you said and now have a single disc with 107 of my favorite songs.
I'm glad it worked out, makes my day!

Old 12-08-2008, 10:59 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
What version of Media Player are you using? I can't find the option to change the play list type or set the quality under any tabs. I can change to mp3, but that is all.

My home PC has windows vista and media player version 11.

It could be the older versions don't have so many options. If you can't make it work with the steps I posted, then there are loads of other programs out there. Some folks have suggested a few of them.

Cheers!

Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My home PC has windows vista and media player version 11.

It could be the older versions don't have so many options. If you can't make it work with the steps I posted, then there are loads of other programs out there. Some folks have suggested a few of them.

Cheers!
Thanks, I have XP and version 10 Media Player. I'll upgrade to 11 and try that. I can make CDs ok with other apps but I thought Media Player might be easier.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:41 AM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hawg08, This is the way I did my first half dozen disks that didn't work. I finally figured out that the explorer was writing the windows play list (WPL) rather than the M3U play list to the disk. The HK on the Harley wouldn't play a disk with the WPL. Maybe there is a way in windows to set the defalult play list or maybe it has something to do with the verson or windows or media player on my PC. But using the media player and manually setting the play list to M3U fixed the problem.
Personally, I've never seen the "MPU" format choice. But I guess if it works go for it. Also when doing the way that it do, when you pick the "make a data cd" it just copies the MP3s to the disk so it they're in that format then they'll copy to the CD in the same format. Additionally, I don't use any "play list". To make it simple, all you're doing is copying files from your computer to your CD. If they're MP3s, they'll play on an MP3 player and you don't have to confuse the process by messing with play lists.

Last edited by hawg08; 12-09-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:51 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by hawg08
Personally, I've never seen the "MPU" format choice. But I guess if it works go for it. Also when doing the way that it do, when you pick the "make a data cd" it just copies the MP3s to the disk so it they're in that format then they'll copy to the CD in the same format. Additionally, I don't use any "play list". To make it simple, all you're doing is copying files from your computer to your CD. If they're MP3s, they'll play on an MP3 player and you don't have to confuse the process by messing with play lists.
Hi Hawg08,
I wasn't planning to use a playlist, I didn't even know what it was until a couple days ago. But I found when I made a CD with the explorer it wouldn't play. It wouldn't play in the HK on my bike, and it wouldn't play in the player in my buddy's mini van either. And when I looked at the disk it was because it had a windows playlist. The windows help screen say's it's a propietary format, which explains why non-windows players cant play it.

Do you just highlight the files you want and press "burn"? It would be nice if that worked.

Anyway, I know it's more steps to go through the media player, it always seems to write that play list to the disk. Maybe, it's the version of the media player that makes the difference, or the version of windows explorer or whatever.

Anyway, for me, I found a way that works. My perfered method would be what you use, if it worked for me.

thanks.

Last edited by zeus33; 12-09-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:09 PM
lmb1485
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I burn off windows media all the time.I have limewire and I launch all the downloaded songs into my music ,from there I transfer them to windows media.Put a disc in start a burn list go to the burn tab select data /dvd.fill up the cd with music.Easily burn 150 songs on one cd.Its awesome.set the sound level let her burn.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:36 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know Im asking this without reading all the above posts, so if this is already answered just slap me silly with a quick "its there"

I use itunes to buy my music and burn my CDs and all I can get is about 13-16 songs per CD. Is there a way to get 30-40 songs onto one playable CD? How do you navigate itunes to do that?

(Ducking for cover)

Old 12-09-2008, 11:57 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
I know Im asking this without reading all the above posts, so if this is already answered just slap me silly with a quick "its there"

I use itunes to buy my music and burn my CDs and all I can get is about 13-16 songs per CD. Is there a way to get 30-40 songs onto one playable CD? How do you navigate itunes to do that?

(Ducking for cover)

Off the top of my head it could be one of two things. Maybe you're burning an audio CD rather than a data CD. An audio CD usually only has 13-16 songs. Or... maybe when you buy the itunes songs they come in a lossless format such as WAV. So they're not compressed and you wont be able to fit any more than the normal amount on a disk. If you do have mp3 format, then they are a smaller size than the original lossless format, you might have the bit rate turned up to the maximum, something like 320 maybe, try a slower bit rate like 128.

The files I made at 128 bps are about 5mb in size, so it would be possible to fit about 140 on a 700mb CD.

Quick Reply: HowTo: Make an MP3 disk for the Harmon Kardon