Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HowTo: Make an MP3 disk for the Harmon Kardon

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:04 PM
3green0red
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ripped my favorite Marilyn Mansion songs and they wouldn't play on the HK, but the wife's Tony Bennett Christmas Classics would.
Go figure?
I guess that's why it's called the Ultra CLASSIC, huh?

Old 01-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 176 Posts

New bike plays jumpstick music but Jeep only has a cd player - 158 songs, 10 hours & 50 minutes of music. Most I've ever put on a cd.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:33 AM
UltraSteveUSAF
Road Master
Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Help

[QUOTE=zeus33;4207682]I've had some problems making an mp3 music disk that would play in the Harmon Kardon on my RG. So I've figured out the problems and can now make the disks. I am sure others probably have run into the same problems so I thought I'd just post a little cook book on what I discovered. I am using windows vista so that's what these instructions are for. Someone else might want to post the differences when using other operationg systems, like the mac, or even other windows versions, like windows 95.

Here's my cookbook...

1. The music must be in MP3 format. The HK player won't recognize WMA (windows media) format or any other.

2. You can rip the above format using the windows media player. Just select the options menu item under the "rip" tab and set it to MP3 before you start, otherwise you'll get the wrong format. Then put in your music CD and press the "start rip" button. ( by the way, rip means - copy the music from the cd to your computer )

3. Here's the step I was doing wrong. I was using the windows explorer to burn the mp3 disk, and getting the wrong format. You should use the windows media player. Under the "burn" tab select the options menu item. Set the playlist type to "M3U", not "WPL". Windows will default the playlist to "WPL" (windows play list), and your disk will not work in anything other than a windows player. If you set it to "M3U" the disk will work in all industry standard players, including the Harmon Kardon on your bike. (Trust Microsoft to change the industry standard!! Typical windows crap)

4. Also under the burn tab make sure you select "Data CD".

Burn the disk, when it's done it will automatically close it out, or finalize it. Then it will work in the HK. It's really nice, it shows the artist and song name on the display when the song starts. I really like it.[/QUO----

------So my computer is running windows 8 and for some reason I've done the above steps but when going to the rip stage it only shows "windows explorer" option. Yes I'm not the smartest apple in the box. But I thinks I've followed these pretty closely. Obviously I need something simpler. Any Help

Old 02-01-2014, 06:44 AM
UltraSteveUSAF
Road Master
Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Disreguard my above post please. I was using a DVD-R will try with a CD-R

Old 08-17-2016, 02:09 PM
mejohnc1954
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thank you, removed the tags and followed your advice and it works... Thanks again. AC/DC and the Rolling Stones are my new ride music..

Old 08-17-2016, 08:25 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,289 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
Then it will work in the HK. It's really nice, it shows the artist and song name on the display when the song starts. I really like it.
I burn mine in Windows Media player (Win 8.1), I think I only ate one disc learning how to do it.

Once done, you have a disc w/ 150+ songs depending how long each one is.

I have buddies who buy RAM mounts and mount phones/IPods on their handlebars and plug them into the radio....kinda a PITA. I like the disc route better....and if it gets broken, I can simply burn another, easy as that.

I thought I read Windows 10 doesn't come w/ Windows Media Player (I could be wrong)