Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HowTo: Make an MP3 disk for the Harmon Kardon

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

What version of Media Player are you using? I can't find the option to change the play list type or set the quality under any tabs. I can change to mp3, but that is all.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:23 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bdp
Zeus,
I'm a complete idiot when it comes to burning CD's, so naturally I have a few questions.
#1 under the Rip Tab Audio quality Smallest size or Best Quality or somewhere in between
#2 Does the 80 minutes of music on a CD equal the amount of time it will take to rip.

Thanks

Probably somewhere in between is best. the 128 kbps is a good compromise. In reality, you probably aren't going to hear the difference anyway because you'll have your helmet on and there will be wind and engine noice. But if you take your disk and play it on a home stereo for example you might notice a lower quality if it was ripped at "smallest size". So pick the middle setting, 128 is good.

It only takes a minute or so to rip an entire music CD. I suppose it depends on the player that is conneced to your pc, but the modern ones run 48 times or 72 times faster than normal, so count on a minute or two per CD.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:27 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by hawg08
right out of Windows Explorer:

1. open Explorer and go to the directory where the music you want to burn to a CD is stored.

2. Hit Ctrl-A to hightlight all the songs (hold down the Ctrl key to deselect songs you don't want)

3. right click on the highlighted songs and you'll see a message balloon that tells you that you have files waiting to be written to the CD. Click the balloon then choose "write these file to CD".

4. You can then put in a CD name (you don't have to do this), click "next" and choose "make data CD". You're done!!

I've found this is less confusing to those of us that are "easily amused, easily confused".
Hawg08, This is the way I did my first half dozen disks that didn't work. I finally figured out that the explorer was writing the windows play list (WPL) rather than the M3U play list to the disk. The HK on the Harley wouldn't play a disk with the WPL. Maybe there is a way in windows to set the defalult play list or maybe it has something to do with the verson or windows or media player on my PC. But using the media player and manually setting the play list to M3U fixed the problem.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:48 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
What version of Media Player are you using? I can't find the option to change the play list type or set the quality under any tabs. I can change to mp3, but that is all.
I'm in the office right now, don't know what version I have at home. I'll check later.

If you can't see the option then just go ahead and try it out. You might waste a disk. I wasted about 6 before I finally got it right.

On my work PC we have media player 9. It looks a bit different than my home pc but I found the option. This version of the media player has a row of items down the left side "now playing", "media guide", "copy from cd", "copy to cd" etc.
I clicked on "copy to CD", then over near the top right of the window there is a little button with a "!" excmation point on it. It gives you a panel where you can set the audio quality and click on an option that says "Write playlist to CD as M3U (audio only)". This is what you need.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:51 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

...deleted...

Last edited by iclick; 12-08-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:11 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

...deleted...

Old 12-08-2008, 12:13 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Araba Shriner
I tried this for my '05, and the bike's stock head unit would not read the CD but it plays fine in my truck. There must be something with the older head units.
Only '06 and above HK head units will play MP3s.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:18 PM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Araba Shriner;4207900]I tried this for my '05, and the bike's stock head unit would not read the CD but it plays fine in my truck. There must be something with the older head units.[/QUOT

05 head units can not read mp3 format....

Old 12-08-2008, 12:18 PM
gregsworld
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using RecordNow that comes with Windows XP. It seems to work fine. I did read on the Kuryakyn site that there were some software issues with the head unit and maybe you might need to update the HK. Just an idea.

Greg

Old 12-08-2008, 01:52 PM
bartb1200
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info I will try that tonite

Quick Reply: HowTo: Make an MP3 disk for the Harmon Kardon