Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HowTo: Make an MP3 disk for the Harmon Kardon

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeAKQJX
Getting Started
You must have Windows 95 or better and I suggest a system with a minimum of 2GB RAM and enough free space to load the software on the internal hard drive of the computer. The software I describe is not specific to a 32bit or 64bit machine and is smart enough to be configured to either.
Enjoy all.
Ok Mike thanks for sharing all the info, it is really good. I have to say though this quoted text made me chuckle quite a bit as I had to check the date of your post or I wouldn't have believed it. Windows 95??? LOL I build pc's and I haven't seen Windows 95 in over a decade, maybe longer. I don't even know anyone running Windows XP anymore. There are some ppl still using Vista unfortunately (horrible operating system). I use Windows 7 Ultimate, haven't jumped on the 8 bandwagon yet.

Long story short, everyone will have plenty of disc space and a cable processor with more then enough memory for a meager task as this.

Again, thanks Mike for sharing the info it really is useful that just made me chuckle a bit I thought it was a 1998 or 99 post lol.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Aiseesoft has a product out that does wonders for this type stuff. Allows you to get ANYTHING off of your ixxx devices onto your computer without the use of iTunes.

Originally Posted by HalfFast
PC/Windows 7

I have found a way to retrieve all of the music from my iPod and upload it to my new computer and remove the copy protection from the music purchased from iTunes and burn the music to a CD as data files so that all music information (Title, Artist, Album) is displayed on my HK system but as I said earlier, it is not easy.

Someone posted that this is an easy process and I was hoping that someone had an easier route than I am currently using.

This is what I, currently, do:
-Hook my iPod to my computer
-From my Start Menu, Choose Computer
-Right click on the iPod and choose Open iPod as a portable device
-Highlight the device
-Choose Organize then scroll down to Folder and Search Options and select it
-Click on the View tab
-Select show hidden files and Apply and OK
-Click on the device
-A folder by the name of iPod Controls will now be visible
-Click on that file and other folders will open
-Click on the Music file and several other folders will be shown with such names as F00, F01.....
-Your music is stored on your iPod in those folders.
-They are stored under names such as BUVD, BOYO and other four capital letter names.
-Highlight all the files and right click on them and choose copy
-Make a new folder on your computer and paste all of those files into it
-Do the same for each folder
-When you open your new folder, you will see all of your music with the correct names, artist, album etc on them. They will also still have the four capital letter file names which you need to remove unless you want them to be included in the names on the CD you will be burning.
-All of the music will be whatever type of file you uploaded them to your iPod as.
-You can download a free converter program such as Audacity to convert your music files to MP3 files. You can download free add on files to be used with Audacity such as LAME and ffmpeg which will remove the copy protection from music you have purchased from iTunes.
-You can then use whatever burning program you wish to burn you music to the CD as data files.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:42 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

In order to get your HK-HUD to show you the Song Title on top and the Artist temporarily on the bottom, you will feel the artist text into the %title% tag and the title text into the %artist% tag. .
your original post was pretty lengthy so i wanted to highlight this portion that bears repeating. if you don't switch the artist name and the track title, then your hk will display the artist name constantly. it will show the artist name, and the track title only when it first starts playing the track. then the track title disappears and the clock comes up, leaving the artist name on the display.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:43 PM
MikeAKQJX
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Believe me.... you get that once in a blue-moon call. I take older computers and make them a lot better by installing Ubuntu on them for a fraction of the cost of getting a new OS. But you never know who's got what out there, hence the Windows 95 reference.

For ChristoHD... I run many multiple systems that I own and have access to regularly:

1 Vista Home Premium
1 WinXP
2 Win7
2 Mac Snow Leapord
1 Ubuntu 10.04LTS
1 Ubuntu 12.04LTS
1 Vanilla Hexxeh Google Chromium OS

Cheers.

Last edited by MikeAKQJX; 01-12-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:05 PM
MikeAKQJX
Advanced

Originally Posted by skratch
your original post was pretty lengthy so i wanted to highlight this portion that bears repeating. if you don't switch the artist name and the track title, then your hk will display the artist name constantly. it will show the artist name, and the track title only when it first starts playing the track. then the track title disappears and the clock comes up, leaving the artist name on the display.
Way to cliff-note my material!

But the reason why I wrote something that long was to not leave details out... which started me on this road of frustration for weeks.

You must also make sure that the underlying ID3 tags are only configured for version 1.0 -- anything else and you're going to get some random problem.

And one last thing...
Originally Posted by skratch
your original post was pretty lengthy ...
Even that was a shorter version of my work. The whole thing is here...
hhttp://www.arpaia.com/mp3-discs-for-stock-radio.html. The really nice looking, multiple page research in all of it's glory.

Last edited by MikeAKQJX; 04-28-2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Web site title changed the landing page.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Believe me.... you get that once in a blue-moon call. I take older computers and make them a lot better by installing Ubuntu on them for a fraction of the cost of getting a new OS. But you never know who's got what out there, hence the Windows 95 reference.

For ChristoHD... I run many multiple systems that I own and have access to regularly:

1 Vista Home Premium
1 WinXP
2 Win7
2 Mac Snow Leapord
1 Ubuntu 10.04LTS
1 Ubuntu 12.04LTS
1 Vanilla Hexxeh Google Chromium OS

Cheers.
Vista was complete trash IMO nothing but a resource hog. First thing I do when a guy brings me a machine with Vista is install 7 lol

Old 01-12-2013, 05:23 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Way to cliff-note my material!
it was all good... but i thought that one sentence bore repeating. i don't know how many times i've heard (off forum) and read (on forum) from someone who's biggest frustration concerned the display of song name/artist name. and i thought that was one of those 'gems' that would get lost in the reading....

the easiest way to avoid all these mp3 problems? use the ipod interface

but then that introduces it's own set of issues

Old 01-12-2013, 06:42 PM
bruce sg08
Road Captain

bookmarked. Thanks for the tips

Old 01-12-2013, 08:01 PM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey MikeAKQJX,I just spent most of my supposed to be sunny and 70 but cold and rainy day re naming all my MP3 files, downloading the MP3TAG software and changing the tags on them and so far it worked great. Thanks for that!!!I did not download the MP3TAG installer kit and everything worked fine. I also did not download the IMGBURN software because I had made Data CD's previously w/WMP and just couldn't see the song name due to the tag configuration.NEXT QUESTION is there any way to burn the disc in the sort order you decide when building the play list? My HK seems to repeat more than I think (really my wife thinks) it should when it is on random play. Not sure if the tag has anything to do with this as my old saved file names and data CD's had track numbers in the tag that have now been removed. WMP has a shuffle list button that does a pretty good job shuffling the list especially if you keep hitting the button but it burns them alphabetically. I would just as soon shuffle them on the burn and leave the random off. If the IMGBURN will do this I will download it.The walk through video was a big help for me as I don't have a clue what all the behind the scenes stuff means. THANKS AGAIN NICE POST.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:36 AM
MikeAKQJX
Advanced
Default Questions answered...

Originally Posted by X Iron Butt
Hey MikeAKQJX,[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]I just spent most of my supposed to be sunny and 70 but cold and rainy day re naming all my MP3 files, downloading the MP3TAG software and changing the tags on them and so far it worked great. Thanks for that!!!
See ... that's why I made this post. Thanks for the feedback... but that wasn't a question.

Originally Posted by X Iron Butt
[SIZE=2]NEXT QUESTION is there any way to burn the disc in the sort order you decide when building the play list?
:
:
If the IMGBURN will do this I will download it.
This is kind of a multi-part answer. The software package will place the songs in an alphabetical sort order. So, there isn't a real way to do this using the software via an MP3-style burn to disc, but you can get the results you want my renaming your files.

Example, these three song files are in my lastet cut...
Aerosmith - Dude Looks Like a Lady.mp3
Goo Goo Dolls - Give a Little Bit.mp3
Yes - Love Will find a Way.mp3
If you want to play songs in a specific order, then rename files like this...
002 - Aerosmith - Dude Looks Like a Lady.mp3
001 - Goo Goo Dolls - Give a Little Bit.mp3
003 - Yes - Love Will find a Way.mp3
Only use digits to pre-pend the filename. Try MP3TAG to use a numeric value, into the %year% tag and rewrite the files starting with the %year% tag.

And yes... this is a manual process to number the songs you want in a specific order. You cannot get around that one with this software. There is a forum that claims this can be done going to the menu of IMGBURN and checking a box. They want you to go to Tools -> Settings -> Build -> 'Sort Files By Source List Order' but the problem is that it will not work on a root level folder. That is how I want to manage my music and files on the disc. So the file renaming thing is the better option unless you're willing to experiment with breaking up your CD into folders and trying it out on your own.

Go and download the software give it a shot, you can always un-install it if you really want to.

Last edited by MikeAKQJX; 01-13-2013 at 06:11 AM.

Quick Reply: HowTo: Make an MP3 disk for the Harmon Kardon