Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 Big bore kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008 | 09:57 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member

With a 251 cam I agree with your buddy.

If you keep in mind once you enhance one area, you need to enhance all area's to get a maximum benefit. If you have a cam and a cylinder that are capable of pumping the air but are limited by the the head flow you will not leverage either of the two changes for maximum benefit.

In your case your increasing the size of the cylinder. Larger Cylinder will pull more air. Your giving it a bigger glass to drink from (Cam) but you want it to drink from the same straw (Head flow). Yes weird way to compare it.

I would do the heads absolutely with that cam choice.

Originally Posted by roadglidedude
Does anyone think it is a waste to do a 103 kit & not do anything with the heads?
I have 3k budgeted for motor work over the winter and I was planning on doing the SE 103" Stg III with SE251 cams
I talked to one of my buddies and he is telling me I am pissing $ away if I don't do something with the heads

Old 12-09-2008 | 05:22 AM
roadglidedude
Advanced

Donnie
What are my options
Can they do something with my stock heads?
Or do I have to buy new heads
I was looking @ the 103 Stg IV kit which would blow my budget but isn't out of the range of possibilities
The only thing is I read somewhere that with the Stg IV cruise control isn't compatible
Anyone ever heard this?

Old 12-09-2008 | 06:36 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by roadglidedude
Can they do something with my stock heads?
Or do I have to buy new heads
Your stock heads can be modified.
The heads on my bike have been ported/polished,larger valves installed,new guides/seals,flowed,milled and compression releases added.
There are lots of shops that do this.

Old 12-09-2008 | 10:38 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
Your stock heads can be modified.
The heads on my bike have been ported/polished,larger valves installed,new guides/seals,flowed,milled and compression releases added.
There are lots of shops that do this.
+1 exactly. My advice from here though is make sure they are done by someone who is very experienced with a grinder with HD heads and has a flow bench to show his work. Their is a fine line between flow and volocity. A bad bench can actually cost you power! Many shops will swap your stock heads, for theirs that have already been worked. If they do not come with a flow sheet walk away!

Old 12-09-2008 | 11:23 AM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior

Donny what is your average MPG with that power from a 96 you must be sucking down some gas. with 103 or 107 you need less gas to make power. What all did you do 211 cams, cam spacers, gasket kit and push rods?

Old 12-10-2008 | 06:36 AM
fgunnr
Intermediate

This is for all of you guys who have installed the 103 Stage II kit with the 255 cams.

How many of you have had a dyno tune and how many are running on the SERT map?

I plan on using the SERT map during breakin and do the day long dyno tune afterwards.

Thanks

Old 12-10-2008 | 11:53 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member

Roughly 38MPG on the slab. Yes adjustable pushrods, gaskets, new cam bearings.

I have never heard of a larger engine automatically being more efficient then a smaller one. Making "more power" is subjective and undefined. To many variables to characterize that theory you have. You also need to consider how small a change in piston surface area going from 96 to 103 really is.....Its not as big as people imagine it is.....

Originally Posted by vtwinbmx
Donny what is your average MPG with that power from a 96 you must be sucking down some gas. with 103 or 107 you need less gas to make power. What all did you do 211 cams, cam spacers, gasket kit and push rods?

Old 12-26-2008 | 09:16 PM
dlrshort
|
Road Captain

Have any of you noticed that the harley catalog is a little unclear about the contents of the kit? I could have sworn that when I ordered the kit, SE mufflers were included in the kit. After going through all the parts the dealer took off in the trailer, I didn't see the stock pipes with the other stock parts. I returned to the dealer and they told me that only the headers were replaced not the mufflers. On the '08 and earlier models, the mufflers were part of the kit and not the headers, according to the dealer. The bike runs a whole lot better and sounds better too, even with the stock pipes, IMO. So, all's well that ends well.

Old 12-26-2008 | 09:21 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain

Thx. This is one of the more believable observations I have read,

Originally Posted by phattey
Folks say there's insignificant differences in the 96" to 103"..??

Hmmm...maybe they're talking about the 103" kit that is minus cams. My friends '08 flhx is a 96", with SEAC, and Pro-pipe, SERt and when he drives my bike, 103(with 255's), SEAC, Bub7 slips, SEST...he's amazed at the difference in the power and response at all levels of the RPM range. And I agree, when I'm on his bike it feels responsive and quick ( the 96" is no slouch), yet the 103 feels more aggressive and powerful.

I like the 96's tuned in...they're strong and responsive. I think the 255/103 kit though is just more of the same...stronger and more responsive..

Old 12-29-2008 | 03:37 PM
dlrshort
|
Road Captain

Have any of you noticed that the harley catalog is a little unclear about the contents of the kit? I could have sworn that when I ordered the kit, SE mufflers were included in the kit. After going through all the parts the dealer took off in the trailer, I didn't see the stock pipes with the other stock parts. I returned to the dealer and they told me that only the headers were replaced not the mufflers. On the '08 and earlier models, the mufflers were part of the kit and not the headers, according to the dealer. The bike runs a whole lot better and sounds better too, even with the stock pipes, IMO. So, all's well that ends well.

Quick Reply: 103 Big bore kit