Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Heat???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008 | 09:39 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Couple of things,
Speaking of having nothing to do with nothing, Dawg, it was -30 here this morning. FWIW
Hoosierhog88, your garage is way to neat buddy.
Back to jcbpa's garage. If I were you, I'd build a room inside your garage, smaller than the whole bay, wire it, insulate real well, heat with two guys smokin'.

Old 12-09-2008 | 01:08 AM
Bad Pig
Road Master

get a 55 gal can and toss your trash in it and burn away! warms up the garage and rids you of your trash at the same time.....

Old 12-09-2008 | 01:46 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

While the bike is sitting in the unheated garage, I would have a light bulb under the engine to keep the engine warm enough from moisture condensation. In my case, since I'm not home for weeks at a time, I park the bike in an enclosed trailer with a 750/1500 electric heater. I've done it for the past 2 years. No condensation problems and it's easy to start when I want to go for a ride when it's 35 outside.

Old 12-09-2008 | 02:31 AM
ben67zl1
Cruiser
Smile Bike Garage

There is a thread on site of a guy who built a bike garage , picked a corner about 12 X12 insulated and all and he can work on his bike in heated bliss for low bucks! Got his lift, tools. bike , lights, heater, and he closes the door and he's HOME SWEET HOME. One step more put small AC unit from a window in it and work on it in the summer. Just a thought Ben. I heat my 1280 sq. ft. with a 25,000 btu LP gas from Lowes ,My wife couldn't start my old one so for Xmas we bought a new one for around 200 course I even double insulated the doors cause I use the AC in the summer! I had a 55 gallon barrel stove before and had to open the doors for my New Years eve parties too much heat . 50 dollar wood stove just don't forget the sand!

Old 12-09-2008 | 07:05 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wally
Couple of things,

Hoosierhog88, your garage is way to neat buddy.
Wally... that's not MY garage. It's a pic I got from the Modine heater web site.

My bike is tucked away in my heated pole barn right now, only because I couldn't get it in the family room without some major re-construction.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-09-2008 | 07:39 AM
hawg08
Road Master

When I built my house, I had the my three-car insulated, ceiling and walls. Then I had the HVAC crew put a vent in out there and now I have heat and air year around. I call it "forward thinking".

Old 12-09-2008 | 08:39 AM
sporty06
Road Captain

I use one of the Northern round, sit on the floor propane heaters. The key is to buy the highest BTU unit that you can afford. I had one of the small torpedo/salamander types first and it made to much noise and not enough heat.

We don't have a lot of really cold days here but I am a wimp when it comes to being cold.

sporty06

Old 12-09-2008 | 09:14 AM
Tinman265
Road Master

I have a hanging unit heater also...... I do HVAC. It does take a little more to install but you can't beat it! You can find them reasonable at most farm stores or Menards type places. I put in a 45,000 first and it was enough heat but being 12" tall the fan was small and turned fast (1600 rpm) so it was loud......... Turn the radio up every time the heat came on loud. I changed it for a 60,000 unit. It is 16" tall and the fan is much bigger so is turns much slower (1050 rpm) but still throws the air really good. In the long run the hanging heater is the best..... Sounds like a group buy....... If there is enough intrest in the Chicago area I would concider getting prices. I usually only takes 6 or 8 to get a better price. Should be around $425-$440 (without tax) I imagine...........

Old 12-09-2008 | 11:46 AM
gregsworld
Tourer

Space heaters will work. You just have to give them a few hours prior to going to work. I have a two car out here in Jackson Hole. It's 4 degrees today, and I got the garage heated in a few hours with a relatively small space heater. My insulation is very limited and my door is for sure not insulated. Also, Sam's Club has those giant infrared heaters this year. Maybe someone can comment on the effectiveness of those. Good luck and stay warm.

Greg

Old 12-10-2008 | 02:04 AM
Hawgnut
Tourer
Wink

Originally Posted by dgriffith
While the bike is sitting in the unheated garage, I would have a light bulb under the engine to keep the engine warm enough from moisture condensation. In my case, since I'm not home for weeks at a time, I park the bike in an enclosed trailer with a 750/1500 electric heater. I've done it for the past 2 years. No condensation problems and it's easy to start when I want to go for a ride when it's 35 outside.
Dgriffifth Got a chuckle out of the light thing.... I had a Triumph 750 bonneville when I lived in PA.I had a small electric heater that I put under it so I could kick it over to go to work.It just made it alot easier to kick over, it was stubborn when it was cold out.

Quick Reply: Garage Heat???