Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short angled adjustable Highway Pegs...help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 09:02 PM
twoseas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Short angled adjustable Highway Pegs...help

I bought the large chrome and rubber footpegs P/n 50130-95a to go along with the short angled adjustable highway mounting kit p/n 50924-03a. The instructions for the chrome and rubber footpegs sez to hold on to the spring washers of the old set. Being that I didn't have an old set, I purchase 2 from the "Stealer" for $7.02 (ouch).

My problem is that I can't fit the spring washer between the peg and the highway mount. This washer is concave in shape...I guess to put resistance on the peg so it doesn't flop down when in the up position. I hammer it flat a little and nada, still no fit. I got the sucker completely flat and it won't fit between the two pieces. I notice that there are two threaded holes and one of them has a setscrew behind the highway mount and I play with this to see if somehow that would be what holds the peg in the up position buy no joy.

Can someone with a similar setup help me out before I launch the highway pegs along with the outrageously priced spring washers into the Bayou.

I failed to mention that I bought the short angled mounting kit on ebay and it didn't come with instructions

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Topper
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Short angled adjustable Highway Pegs...help

Those springs can be a pain, but the are there for the resistance. Took me about an hour to mount pegs to the 360 setup. The set screws you are mentioning are for stopping the pegs from going down any further. I have mine about 90% in because I like my highway pegs tilted in towards the bike, just set my heels on them and ride old school with my toes about horizontal Loosen the set screw all the way out and put the peg where you want it and tighten until the peg begins to rise and back off about a half turn. Wish I could be more help with the clips, seems a rubber hammer and a wood shim did the trick for me, but it was a good bit ago. Good luck.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Ray

I know what you mean, those little bast*rds can be a pain. What I did is was hold the spring lined up with the peg and used my rubber hammer to get it started. Then slowly tapping the peg in until I could get a small drift pin thru the bolt hole, then wiggle it around until I could get the bolt in. Don't forget the lock-tight
First one was kinda a pain, but the second one no problem. If you weren't so far, I'd ride over and help[sm=biker.gif]

BTW.......I know what you mean about slinging them! Thats why I quit playing golf, got too expensive[&:]

Old 04-09-2006, 10:42 PM
twoseas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: twoseas

I bought the large chrome and rubber footpegs P/n 50130-95a to go along with the short angled adjustable highway mounting kit p/n 50924-03a. The instructions for the chrome and rubber footpegs sez to hold on to the spring washers of the old set. Being that I didn't have an old set, I purchase 2 from the "Stealer" for $7.02 (ouch).

My problem is that I can't fit the spring washer between the peg and the highway mount. This washer is concave in shape...I guess to put resistance on the peg so it doesn't flop down when in the up position. I hammer it flat a little and nada, still no fit. I got the sucker completely flat and it won't fit between the two pieces. I notice that there are two threaded holes and one of them has a setscrew behind the highway mount and I play with this to see if somehow that would be what holds the peg in the up position buy no joy.

Can someone with a similar setup help me out before I launch the highway pegs along with the outrageously priced spring washers into the Bayou.

I failed to mention that I bought the short angled mounting kit on ebay and it didn't come with instructions

Thanks in advance.
Topper and Bruce...thanks for your advice. I ended up tossing the spring washers and used flat washers instead. I had to file the washers down a bit until I got the resistance I needed. I also figured out if you reef down on the threaded screw for the peg this will also provide resistance.

I used the blue loctite on all fasteners.

That's funny about your golf game...I too can become very frustrated on the LINKS !!!

Ray

Old 04-10-2006, 12:48 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

[sm=smiley20.gif]