Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock '09 Pipes-Yes or Not

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
Bill,
Thanks for the reply. Any recommendations for slip on touring mufflers that are slightly louder then stock but still very street and touring friendly? (Assuming no other upgrades). Some of the sample sound clips I've heard of 1-3/4" baffled pipes sount almost tinny to me. I knowe the stock mufflers are highly restictive and that is the only reason I am considering another slip on. (maybe).

The Fuel Moto Jackpots, and the Rush mufflers, are not to bad mellow and deeper sounding. The standard V&H Ovals are real nice, I had a set on my 07 Road King and they will fit the 09 models, also the V&H basic slip ons sound pretty good. When I buy my new 09 Ultra Classic next year I am going to try the Dyno tuned Jackpots from Fuel Moto, less cost than the V&H Ovals also Jamie says they will be fine without a tuner if I leave the stock A/C on the bike. All these mufflers will be louder than stock, some louder than others. Go to some local rides or shops and listen to diffrent brands and types of mufflers to see what you like, thats what I did, it helps alot....

Take Care,
Bill G

Last edited by Bill G; 12-08-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:18 PM
ranman469
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill G
My friend the general rule of thumb is 2" Max on baffle size with the stock A/C with no fuel managment normally needed.

Take Care,
Bill G

i just got back from the dealer and they said i could run cans with up to 1.75 baffle with no management needed and they said it would be under warranty with no problems.

i was asking for my 09 ultra,and using rush.

i would trust them

Old 12-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ranman469
i just got back from the dealer and they said i could run cans with up to 1.75 baffle with no management needed and they said it would be under warranty with no problems.

i was asking for my 09 ultra,and using rush.

i would trust them
Rush's web page use to say 2" and the guy I talked to at Rush said the 2" baffles was the max that they recommended. As far as warranty goes I don't know....

Take Care,
Bill G

Old 12-08-2008, 06:32 PM
ranman469
Road Master

at least we seam to be getting the same info. it can be done

Old 12-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There's a guy on Ebay, Jag-Performance, selling stock cans that have had the baffles modded with "turbo torque cones" installed. He's claiming that the cans are louder than stock but not as loud as SEs, and produce a deep tone. Has anyone had an opportunity to hear these?

Link here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Moto...3A1|240%3A1318

Old 12-08-2008, 07:33 PM
myred55
Road Master

Stock pipes on my 09 UC sound fine to me. No plan to replace them, guess I'm getting old.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In getting this thread back "on topic" I actually do think that my stock 09 mufflers do sound better then some of the "slip ons" that I have heard. That's why I'm more then inclined to just leave them on the bike, since trying out the Monster Ovals.

The stockers have a decent "quality" of sound that is reserved when you want them to be but do have a deeper throatiness when you get on the throttle. Many slip ons just sound cheap and tinny to me, loud yes, but not deep.
The Monster Ovals do sound deep but as I mentioned earlier do have pretty big baffles in them (and that's why they sound good) but sound loud too.

I like the stock mufflers more and more as I ride with them and as I learn about alternatives to them.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Kielbaso
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since starting this thread and reading the replies, I would have to guess that there are more (estimate 80% keeping stock vs 20% changing) keeping the stock tubes as compared to going aftermarket. Harley may have made some enemies in the pipe market with the '09's.

Glad I'm not alone, but if I do ever decide to change, mine are headed on ebay with shipping to Japan.

Great chatter, you guys are like an encyclopedia of knowledge.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:12 PM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Since I'm deaf and used to love the brapping noises off my Sporty and '06 RKC. Now, Currently own '09 Ultra with factory stock pipes where I had my friends who rode in the back of the pack tell me that those original pipes sounded great. Originally thought of going with Jackpot Muffler Package.

Man, I'm confused as hell not knowing which direction I should go...Leave it stock or enjoy the deep, loud and throatier sounds. Only thing I absolutely don't want to spend the money if it only sounds a tadbit louder than the stock pipes.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:28 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior

I can say without question that the Jackpot Dyno Tuned pipes are way more than a tad bit louder than stock. Are they too loud? No, but that is my opinion.

Quick Reply: Stock '09 Pipes-Yes or Not