Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving and need a bike trailer...suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:19 PM
crp5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving and need a bike trailer...suggestions

Ok, I know touring bikes are made to be ridden not trailered.... Now that we got that out of the way I need some advice

I am moving from Atlanta to Valdosta Ga in January and need to rent, buy or borrow a trailer for my Street Glide. (Already have to move 3 cars) Looking for recommendations. Thought about buying one, but would probably only get used a few times if a dedicated bike trailer, don't have anyone to borrow from and not sure about rentals. Storage would be an issue on the other end if I bought one. Was thinking Kendon if I go that route.

We do have a golf cart and large ztr mower that could see some use once in a while.

Open to thoughts and suggestions.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:26 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

If you are going to buy one,I would go with an open trailer with sides that you could also use for the cart and mower.
You may be able to save by going used.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by crp5
Ok, I know touring bikes are made to be ridden not trailered.... Now that we got that out of the way I need some advice

I am moving from Atlanta to Valdosta Ga in January and need to rent, buy or borrow a trailer for my Street Glide. (Already have to move 3 cars) Looking for recommendations. Thought about buying one, but would probably only get used a few times if a dedicated bike trailer, don't have anyone to borrow from and not sure about rentals. Storage would be an issue on the other end if I bought one. Was thinking Kendon if I go that route.

We do have a golf cart and large ztr mower that could see some use once in a while.

Open to thoughts and suggestions.
U-Haul rents enclosed trailers I believe.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:34 PM
JayLo
Cruiser
Veteran: Army
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I rented a uhaul box trailer (6x12) and had absolutely no issues; and i went from SC to south florida. Only cost me $75. Only down fall, was that i had to have extra bodies to help me get the bike in the trailer cause it doesn't have a ramp. That wasn't a big deal. Oh yeah and the box trailer already has anchors on the floor so you can strap the bike down to it

Or if your using a big rent a truck (Hertz, Budget) to haul furniture, get yourself a longer truck and load that scoot on there. You can just find a loading dock somewhere to load it up. You'll just have to buy the anchors and bolt it down to the floor.

I've used both, and never had an issue.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:44 PM
crp5
Cruiser

Hadn't thought about going the U-haul route. May have to check into that this next week. Price is certainly right....

Old 12-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Uhaul also has motorcycle trailers (at some locations).

Old 12-07-2008, 01:38 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hire some kid you can trust to drive one of your vehicles and ride the bike!!!

I hauled one in a uhaul once. Didn't much care for the tie down points, looked weak, but it made the trip just fine.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Dr. Combustion
Cruiser

I have an open 5x8 utility trailer that I purchased used for $350. It was just the basic mesh floor, so I added a sheet of 4x8x.75 treated plywood and a cheap wheel chock. The trailer has made two roundtrips from central OH to Daytona, FL with no issues. I also use it to haul other stuff as well, so it was a good purchase for me.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:59 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I built my own out of a ski-jet trailer.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:13 AM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you rent an enclosed u-haul dont tell them you are moving a cycle in it. something to do with having gas in a enclosed area

Quick Reply: Moving and need a bike trailer...suggestions