Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Humming sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Humming sound question, please?

I've noticed over the last few rides that I'm hearing a humming or light droaning noise coming from my front fork area when going around a curve. At least that's where I think I'm hearing it. At first it was one of those sounds we all 'seem' to think we hear from time to time.......but not really. Mostly on quieter roads. It's gotten louder and definitely seems louder when leaning over to the left side, and only at running speeds. Not when I'm at a crawl. I can even hear it in a parking lot when leaning the bike over to turn into a parking space, and again I hear it more when leaning left, rather than to the right side.

Can anyone help explain this new issue?

Last edited by Yachtman; 12-06-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:45 PM
FLoTR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you worn out the front tire? Check it and feel to see if it's scalloped. "Smooth rode" and "at speed",,,,,,,maybe time for a new'un.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:47 PM
maskedstranger
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps some bad wheel bearings? When you go around corners and lean the bike it can put stress on the bearings and if they are worn, they could cause a hummmmm.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Front tire is perfect with only 4000 easy miles, and still has the nubs on the sides. Bike is going in for service next week, so..........They'll check bearings.

Any other ideas?

Old 12-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Lamar07
Advanced

check belt maybe to loose

Old 12-07-2008, 04:07 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yachtman
Can anyone help explain this new [front tire "humming" while in a curve at speed] issue?
I first noticed mine doing that probably at about the mileage you stated for yours, I think, maybe. Pearl ('07 FLHRC) has just over 20k miles and her tire still does it about the same, so I'm thinking I'd just never noticed it was the reason I never heard it sooner.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:18 PM
wtkpga
Cruiser
Default Front End Noise

I found this and it explains what is going on with my bike. Has anyone had this happen to them. I put new Michelin Commanders on less than 2500 miles ago with no problems. This is the second front tire and the third rear. Love the bike and the tires, hate the noise and feel. Total miles on bike 17500

Any help would be great.

I've noticed over the last few rides that I'm hearing a humming or light droaning noise coming from my front fork area when going around a curve. At least that's where I think I'm hearing it. At first it was one of those sounds we all 'seem' to think we hear from time to time.......but not really. Mostly on quieter roads. It's gotten louder and definitely seems louder when leaning over to the left side, and only at running speeds. Not when I'm at a crawl. I can even hear it in a parking lot when leaning the bike over to turn into a parking space, and again I hear it more when leaning left, rather than to the right side.

Can anyone help explain this new issue?

Old 04-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 219 Posts

I've noticed over the last few rides that I'm hearing a humming or light droaning noise coming from my front fork area when going around a curve. Can anyone help explain this new issue?

Starts after the tire's 1/3 to 1/2 worn. It'll go away when you change the tires. Doesn't hurt a thing.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:10 PM
workformetoo
Cruiser

Mine does it too! I went through the same thing (it's normal)

Old 04-25-2009, 07:51 AM
wtkpga
Cruiser

Is it a Michelin thing? I don't rember the Dunlop doing that.

Quick Reply: Humming sound?