Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A great story of Christmas spirit...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:10 PM
quint
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A great story of Christmas spirit...

Yesterday afternoon, my wife called me and said, "Honey - I am at the bank. We're gonna have a problem." She then went to explain that because a large check that was written out to us in our business account had bounced, the bank was freezing all of our accounts until the matter was resolved. After I spoke to the person who wrote the bounced check, I knew it wouldn't be anytime soon that it would be fixed, if at all. This was a real bummer, because I just deposited all I had - more than $10K - in our checking account to help get through Xmas. Now it was all gone.

To cut a long story short, I had breakfast with a friend this morning and I told him the story. He immediately got out his check book and wrote me a check for $5,000. He said, "I have lost a lot of overtime lately, people are being laid off left and right at work, and so I know how tough it it's gonna be for you. I hope this helps you get through Christmas..."

He's an elevator repairman who works for Otis, so I know he doesn't rake in the big bucks, so for him to write that size check is a big deal for him. He explained that a lot of his work buddies and other friends are really hurting and he didn't want to see me starve through Christmas and New Year.

It seems that the working people who don't have a lot are WAY MORE generous than people with millions. It's almost like the rich folks don't know what it's like to be on the skids, so they can't relate. People who go through thick & thin know what's it like to feel a bit of pain, so when they can afford it, they will help out. I felt like giving him the biggest hug, and when I told my wife, she cried. Interesting times we're in... I guess it brings out the best and worst in people.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:15 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by quint
This was a real bummer, because I just deposited all I had - more than $10K - in our checking account to help get through Xmas. Now it was all gone.

You spend $10,000 on Christmas?
LOL

Old 12-06-2008, 08:48 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice friend to have. But $10K on Christmas? Quint, in this economy, you seriously need to scale back, especially when folks are dropping rubber checks on ya. Good Luck, and hope you have a nice Christmas. I'd make sure no matter what, when, or how, that my buddy get's his $5K back as soon as possible. I'm sure you wouldn't leave him hangin' out there minus that kind of jingle. Especially as an Elevator repairman. You gotta know that came hard, with lots of hours workin' for the man.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:01 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

You have a TRUE friend there Sir! Be very, very thankful.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I figure you're on this forum because you have a Harley. Sorry but my vote is to sell the bike and pay your friend back.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:44 PM
08KING
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i was broke, I wouldn't be out eating breakfast either.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:12 AM
quint
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of the guys might have kinda missed the point...
1. My friend will be paid back - first priority
2. My Xmas won't cost me $10K - that's just what I had deposited into the account to get through the Xmas/New Year period, pay the mortgage, car payments, and have a buffer. It was the bank that decided to take that.

The point was that he parked out some money - not at my request (because I would never do that) - because he saw a friend in a tight spot. Maybe next time a friend does me a good deed, I oughta keep it to myself.

Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone!

Old 12-07-2008, 02:57 AM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, this is a tough crowd! I feel for ya, I'm going through my own stuff (as I'm sure others are too) but a friend that is there for you like that, it's a special thing. I know a lot of people but the number of "true" friends I can count on one hand; and with that many, I figure I'm doing better than most. Good luck and Merry Xmas

Old 12-07-2008, 03:12 AM
buckwheat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good friend! Never forget his willingness to treat you like a brother (or a part of the family). I know you never will. Your point was very clear to me...

Old 12-07-2008, 04:21 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

should take part of the 5k and use it to get the guy that bounced the check immediately

Quick Reply: A great story of Christmas spirit...