Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have a in dash dvd player?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 08:28 AM
thekidnkaren
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We all have our problems and ya shouldn't make fun of this guy about his DVD player. I know my wife has been complaining about the fuzzy picture on the 42" widescreen I have mounted ontop of the Drivers backrest. I keep telling her she needs to see it from at least 5' back so the skirope and skateboard she will be getting for Christmas!

Old 12-07-2008, 08:50 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

most in my circle that ride touring bikes have some type of DVD with Nav and Bluetooth mostly Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC.

I have the kenwood kvt-512 flip up with 7 inch screen --bluetooth, nav, touch screen, and rear camera input.

On my previous bike I had the pioneer 5700--

need to stick with TOP brands on this purchase, they are just made better.

Besides the head unit you will need a interface to connect the unit to the hand controls.

The sound (with an amp) will be 10x better than the stock head unit and more tunable to your sound likes.

Modern technology is amazing -- the pioneer held up well, I went with Kenwood this time based on a couple of bud's bike.

The JVC with the 3.5 in dash screen is also a good unit especially if you have a RG and running a short windshield.

The install should be left to competent professionals.

Some don't like them--I do; but it's your bike -- *** em

Old 12-07-2008, 09:41 AM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't care what a guy has on his bike. What I'm concerned about is when the guy is on the bike riding, whether or not he is using the equipment while he is in motion. If his attention is diverted from the road to the equipment then I'm concerned about it. Paying attention to the road on a bike a rider needs to be 10x more aware of his surroundings then when driving a 4 wheeler. Just hope some little kid doesn't get hurt because someone thinks it's cool to watch DVD movies on a bike.
Just my opinion.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it legal?

Old 12-07-2008, 09:54 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

I agree 100% with you NOBODY should ride/drive and watch a movie. I made the assumption that it will be used in the manner that it is meant to be used.

The features of the unit are for more than watching movies.

i could not put any better than Puzzled so I will quote him

"Yes, I have a DVD/CD/MP3/Navigation unit, a Pioneer AVIC N2. As you can imagine even attempting to watch a movie while moving would be pretty stupid. For me I wanted the navigation and the MP3 capabilities and the rest came with the unit.

so before you go bashing the guy(s) need to know the full intent

Originally Posted by RoadKing_Al
I really don't care what a guy has on his bike. What I'm concerned about is when the guy is on the bike riding, whether or not he is using the equipment while he is in motion. If his attention is diverted from the road to the equipment then I'm concerned about it. Paying attention to the road on a bike a rider needs to be 10x more aware of his surroundings then when driving a 4 wheeler. Just hope some little kid doesn't get hurt because someone thinks it's cool to watch DVD movies on a bike.
Just my opinion.

Last edited by lkr0; 12-07-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Puzzled
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chula
Is it legal?
I'd say no. Than again is it much different than loud pipes or tall apes in regions where they are not permitted? DVD capable units come from the factory with the DVD set up so it doesn't work with the vehicle in motion.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:36 AM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lkr0
I agree 100% with you NOBODY should ride/drive and watch a movie. I made the assumption that it will be used in the manner that it is meant to be used.

The features of the unit are for more than watching movies.

i could not put any better than Puzzled so I will quote him

"Yes, I have a DVD/CD/MP3/Navigation unit, a Pioneer AVIC N2. As you can imagine even attempting to watch a movie while moving would be pretty stupid. For me I wanted the navigation and the MP3 capabilities and the rest came with the unit.

so before you go bashing the guy(s) need to know the full intent
I don't believe I quoted anyone on this thread. I do believe you're quoting me as bashing. Read my post again, it's an opinion not bashing anyone. Which everybody on this forum is entitled too.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:11 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

OK, again I agree with you. apologies for the bashing statement---
Originally Posted by RoadKing_Al
I don't believe I quoted anyone on this thread. I do believe you're quoting me as bashing. Read my post again, it's an opinion not bashing anyone. Which everybody on this forum is entitled too.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I think I have seen it all.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Hrlyrider
Road Captain

I put the portable DVD player in my tourpak and replaced my windshield with a 42" plasma tv. Works great, I even rigged up mirrors so I can see over it while driving!!! What a dope! And I thought it was the crotch rockets that did the stupid stuff that get the bikers killed.

Quick Reply: Anybody have a in dash dvd player?