Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall Notices?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:54 AM
HDPursuit
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recall Notices?

I've been researching lately due to a electrical problem, and have found HD Service Bullitens and Recall Notices here and there. Found the Harley site but can't find any service bullitens. I've found a couple, one would have saved $500+.

Where can you find the bullitens and noticed on older (2002) bikes?

Old 12-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Chasenfish
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-07-2008, 12:18 PM
HDPursuit
Cruiser

Hey Chasenfish, thanks but that link is hosed! Put in 2002 flht and you get info back on a dodge! So far I've found two M1151 & M1107.

M1151 Main Circut Breaker Replacement- Recall

M1107 Stator/Regulator Connector Relocation

M1107 would have saved me 400+

M1151 damn near killed me & the lady

I've found a couple of sites, including yours, but nothing that even brings up the two I know.

If their not available, they should be!

Old 12-09-2008, 04:40 AM
HDPursuit
Cruiser

Wow, tough question. First time I've seen the forum stumped! I've started a personal quest to gather as many Service Bulletins as I can find. If you have any please post them. Maybe we should start a sticky to collect them.

Let's save so other poor sod some cash!

Two wire ties would have saved me 400.
A 50 amp breaker would save my life.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:14 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I think anything that is an official recall has to be listed on the NTSB site (National Transportation Safety Board)? Sorry.....no link, have not looked up in years but google should work.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:29 AM
klemay
Cruiser

Gents,

Check out: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

This will get you Recall notices and Safety Bulletins!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:04 AM
HDPursuit
Cruiser

OK, that gives us recalls!

Now, Is there a way or site that'll give us HD Service Bulletins?

Digging thru my history file to find the two I found.

I was passing a couple of semis when the breaker problem first happened, visions of a pancake swept my mind! So I'm a little wound up on this topic. If there are SB's out there I want to apply them to my scoot.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:26 AM
HDPursuit
Cruiser
Old 12-10-2008, 10:33 AM
tommarbru
Advanced

When I take my Viper GTS in for service I always stay and take the tech out to lunch. Dealers have to have Viper certified techs and most only have one, so I always know who is going to wrench my ride.This way I have developed a "relationship" with the individual who, by the way, is a super nice guy. He also makes copies of all the Service Bulletins for me so I can become aware of any potential problems before they happen. I have not taken my RK to the dealer for any service but couldn't you request the same tech for all your service needs and develope the same kind of relationship? Seems a small price to pay for the benefits.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 AM
HDPursuit
Cruiser

I've been using a highly regarded Indy shop. I'll be talking to him soon about the stator. I' d gladly buy lunch or a couple bucks to know!

Two more

http://www.pvc.maricopa.edu/~preston/M1151A.pdf

http://www.pvc.maricopa.edu/~preston/M1111.pdf

Early TC88 Touring Stator
If you have a fuel injected touring or police model made between 1999 and Jan. 2001 beware. If your charging system hasn't gone belly up, it may sooner than you expect. The problem is that the stator used is for a 38 amp system, these bikes have a 45 amp system. How'd they do that? They put a beefier rotor with stronger magnets over the same stator used on both the 38 and 45 amp systems. The inevitable result is higher temperatures produced by the higher output which will kill the windings on the stator.
Harley is well aware of this problem since they put out a new upgraded stator (part #29987-99A) and Service Bulletin M-1111 explaining the problem. No there's no recall on this but if you have to change your stator, make sure you keep all your receipts just in case. What's worse is that H-D is still selling a kit to convert the 38 amp to the 45 amp with, you guessed it, the bigger rotor while you re-use the inadequate stator.

The so-called "New & Improved" stator... It appears to have thicker wire and a neater job on the windings. Replacing the stator isn't hard if you follow the repair manual and have the right tools.

You will also need to replace your Main circuit breaker, it is a 40 amp in these models, and when upgrading your stator to a 45 amp system will cause an open circuit at some point causing a "quit while riding" situation. The main breaker needs to be upgraded to a 50 amp.

Quick Reply: Recall Notices?