Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed Advanced Audio XM module

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:24 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just installed Advanced Audio XM module

I just got finished installing the Advanced Audio XM module I bought from Bobros (thanks Bob) and I wanted to pass along a few notes. The whole job took about 20 minutes, not including the 20 minutes I spend trimming down the overlay harness to 7 wires (from about 40!).

Since I have no intention of ever having a CB, intercom, sidecar, bluetooth, etc, I decided to unpin the un-needed wires. I also had to cut the interconnect plug wires and also the yellow/orange and yellow/violet CAN +/- wires, but they went back together easily with heat shrink crimps (boat store stuff that really keeps the connections dry). That eliminated about half a dozen plugs and yards of wire that is just not needed in my installation.

At the same time as I had the outer fairing off, I replaced the cloth speaker grills with metal pieces from Hawgwired. The owner sent them to me free when I ordered a dummy CB module and paid for 2 day shipping (so I'd have everything in time for the install tonight)...he felt bad that I spent as much on shipping as the module cost so he threw them in for free...nice guy! Anyway, they look great and were a perfect fit, as was the dummy module which allowed me to mount the amp flat on top of the dummy module and XM module instead of hanging off one side.

Overall, a 1 banana job that gave me some great new tunes!

Harry

Old 12-05-2008, 09:30 PM
jfab6969
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you have to do anything other than plug hook it up & add it to your XM script. I am thinking about doing this also.

Thanks

Old 12-05-2008, 09:47 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain

Just plug it in and roll it out under the stars ;-)

Harry

Old 12-05-2008, 10:32 PM
07BlkCherryUltra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that you asked, but I brought the antenna up between the inner fairing and the windscreen. Looks good enough there and if I ever get the windshield bags it will go in there.
Stupid Question. I never thought to trim or cut away any of the wires. Did you just cut off plugs that weren't used or did you open up the BIG wrapper and start tracing them from there? All that crap under there made it harder to get the fairing back on and I may do some trimming to free up space.
Thanks.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:35 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered Red Hot sunglow RG .the dealer price is $500 for advanced audio xm radio at 70 $ a hour 3 hours labor it comes with wireing harness. It seems easy enough to install except for the pig fairing on the R G. Also im going have the C B radio any trouble there with instalation?

Old 12-06-2008, 06:22 AM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad it when smoothly Harry. Once you get XM'ed you can't go back. I'm still strategizing how I'm gonna XM my RKC without a bulky unit on my bars.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Is the $500 XM an actual unit or is just software?
It only took 20 minutes but HD wants/needs 3 hours, strange. I'm going to start timing these guys a bit when my bike goes in. Although, they may want paid 3 hrs. knowing it takes less.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:02 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the install info...

Old 12-06-2008, 02:00 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain

The XM is a module you install on top of the radio. Here are the steps...takes 20 minutes if you take your time:

1. Remove the outer fairing and windshield (7 torx T-27 screws)
2. Remove a screw on the back of the radio (there are 2 of them...one for XM, one for CB...I removed both)
3. Install the module on top of the radio, engaging two rubber o-rings with nipples on the back of the module (I had to unvelcro the HogTunes amp and remove the old velcro from on top of the radio, and I also installed a dummy module from Hawgwired at the same time right where the CB module would go)
4. Reinstall the screw through the tab on the module into the back of the radio (I did this twice...one for XM, one for the dummy module...I then applied Velcro to both and stuck the HowTunes amp on top of both)
5. Install the overlay harness and connect three plugs (back of XM, back of radio, and audio interconnect cable...I modified mine as below to skinny it up)
6. Remove the fairing bracket screw on the clutch side of the inner fairing
7. Install XM antenna bracket
8. Replace the fairing bracket screw, securing the antenna bracket in place
9. Stick the XM antenna on the antenna bracket and connect the antenna wire to the back of the XM unit
10. Install a few zip ties to hold the wires in place
11. Reinstall the outer fairing

None of this requires anything difficult, but you will need a few Torx drivers (T-15 or 20 and T-27) and an allen wrench (3/16" for the fairing bracket).

As for modifying the overlay wire, here's what I did. NOTE: This will allow you to have XM ONLY. CB, intercom, bluetooth, rear speakers, etc will all be eliminated by doing this. I have a Street glide and only needed XM.:

1. 35 pin connector: unpin all wires except red, white, black, yellow/orange, and yellow/violet wires
2. XM connector: cut the yellow/orange, yellow/violet, red/orange, and black/green wires about 6" from the XM connector plug...DO NOT CUT the red, white, and black wires alone (they are already connected directly to the 35 pin plug)
3. Audio Interconnect plug: cut all 6 wires about 6" from the plug
4. Throw away the rest of the overlay harness
5. Audio Interconnect plug: terminate the green/yellow and violet/green so they can't short out
6. All three plugs: connect all three yellow/orange wires to eachother and all three yellow/violet wires to eachother
7. Audio Interconnect and XM plugs: connect the black/greens to eachother and the red/oranges to eachother
8. Use some zip ties or the split loom from the overlay harness to gather up and protect the wires

If you have the current software in your Advanced Audio unit, it will immediatley recognize the XM unit. If not, you'll need to download the newest software here http://www.harley-davidson.com/cp/moar/en/software.asp and follow the instructions. 8.19 is the latest version and there are instructions at the link above, so I won't reproduce them here.

$499 is just for the module, owners manual for the XM, and antenna. You will also need the antenna bracket (about $5) and either the overlay harness ($139) or the UC harness (I think it's about $89).

The antenna bracket, at about $5, is so cheap and easy to use that I see no reason to put the antenna anywhere else...reception is perfect and signal reception is unobstructed.

Harry

Last edited by HarryDavidson; 12-06-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:05 PM
ShooterSteve1953
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where does the antenna bracket go? Is it under the fairing?

Quick Reply: Just installed Advanced Audio XM module