Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed Advanced Audio XM module

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:46 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShooterSteve1953
Where does the antenna bracket go? Is it under the fairing?
The bracket is used to mount the antenna on the clutch lever bracket. I and many others just put the antenna on top of the radio under the fairing. It picks up fine there, never had trouble with reception except in heavily wooded areas and you're gonna get that no matter where the antenna is mounted.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:07 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what bracket you are referring to, but the factory XM antenna bracket mounts under the fairing using one of the fairing bracket screws.

Harry

Old 06-21-2009, 11:12 PM
59shovel
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

harry , do you still use the interconnect plug ? i have an 2002 roadglide with a h/k radio , i want to put the hd xm kit in it , i allready bought the kit and harness but when i went to plug it in i found that the stock plug on my original harness is a three pin triangle and the plug on the harness is a six pin square , any suggestions on wich wires to hook up on that plug ? (i dont mind makng a new plug for either the bike or the harness to match the other) also i want to get rid of all the stuff i dont need , i just want the radio and the xm . thank you . (ps , im not intimidated with wiring )

Old 06-27-2009, 07:16 PM
59shovel
3rd Gear

harry davidson , do you have any info on how to hook up the non ultra interconnect harness to a pre 09 ? i have a 2002 road glide with the harmon karden in it and i want to hook up the harley xm kit ( allready purchased ) , it will all plug rite in except the small six pin audio interconnect plug , it is a three pin on my stock harness with different colored wires . any info from anyone would be great . thank you .

Old 06-28-2009, 05:44 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

When I did mine, I did have to buy the ultra harness and I pretty much cut(nicely so if I want to put the thing back together) everything out except what was needed to use the XM module.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:38 AM
59shovel
3rd Gear
Default xm fitment

hello , thanks for the reply , did you have to use the non ultra harness or the ultra harness , the hd accessory book says you need the non ultra for road glides so thats what i bought , also when you unpinned all those wires from the radio connector plug did it leave a bunch of small holes that water may get into or did you do something with that ? thank you .

Old 07-03-2009, 09:47 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It was the non ultra overlay. Part # 70169-06. After pulling the wires out I left the holes, if I remember, its only plastic not a worry about gettin wet. the metal stayed on the wires I pulled out.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:25 PM
farfromiowa
Stage II
Default Thanks for the info

I printed out your harness mod instructions. Works great. What a shame to pay 100 bucks for a new harness and chop it down to be practical....

Originally Posted by HarryDavidson
The XM is a module you install on top of the radio. Here are the steps...takes 20 minutes if you take your time:

1. Remove the outer fairing and windshield (7 torx T-27 screws)
2. Remove a screw on the back of the radio (there are 2 of them...one for XM, one for CB...I removed both)
3. Install the module on top of the radio, engaging two rubber o-rings with nipples on the back of the module (I had to unvelcro the HogTunes amp and remove the old velcro from on top of the radio, and I also installed a dummy module from Hawgwired at the same time right where the CB module would go)
4. Reinstall the screw through the tab on the module into the back of the radio (I did this twice...one for XM, one for the dummy module...I then applied Velcro to both and stuck the HowTunes amp on top of both)
5. Install the overlay harness and connect three plugs (back of XM, back of radio, and audio interconnect cable...I modified mine as below to skinny it up)
6. Remove the fairing bracket screw on the clutch side of the inner fairing
7. Install XM antenna bracket
8. Replace the fairing bracket screw, securing the antenna bracket in place
9. Stick the XM antenna on the antenna bracket and connect the antenna wire to the back of the XM unit
10. Install a few zip ties to hold the wires in place
11. Reinstall the outer fairing

None of this requires anything difficult, but you will need a few Torx drivers (T-15 or 20 and T-27) and an allen wrench (3/16" for the fairing bracket).

As for modifying the overlay wire, here's what I did. NOTE: This will allow you to have XM ONLY. CB, intercom, bluetooth, rear speakers, etc will all be eliminated by doing this. I have a Street glide and only needed XM.:

1. 35 pin connector: unpin all wires except red, white, black, yellow/orange, and yellow/violet wires
2. XM connector: cut the yellow/orange, yellow/violet, red/orange, and black/green wires about 6" from the XM connector plug...DO NOT CUT the red, white, and black wires alone (they are already connected directly to the 35 pin plug)
3. Audio Interconnect plug: cut all 6 wires about 6" from the plug
4. Throw away the rest of the overlay harness
5. Audio Interconnect plug: terminate the green/yellow and violet/green so they can't short out
6. All three plugs: connect all three yellow/orange wires to eachother and all three yellow/violet wires to eachother
7. Audio Interconnect and XM plugs: connect the black/greens to eachother and the red/oranges to eachother
8. Use some zip ties or the split loom from the overlay harness to gather up and protect the wires

If you have the current software in your Advanced Audio unit, it will immediatley recognize the XM unit. If not, you'll need to download the newest software here http://www.harley-davidson.com/cp/moar/en/software.asp and follow the instructions. 8.19 is the latest version and there are instructions at the link above, so I won't reproduce them here.

$499 is just for the module, owners manual for the XM, and antenna. You will also need the antenna bracket (about $5) and either the overlay harness ($139) or the UC harness (I think it's about $89).

The antenna bracket, at about $5, is so cheap and easy to use that I see no reason to put the antenna anywhere else...reception is perfect and signal reception is unobstructed.

Harry

Old 12-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarryDavidson
NOTE: This will allow you to have XM ONLY. CB, intercom, bluetooth, rear speakers, etc will all be eliminated by doing this. I have a Street glide and only needed XM.:
You mentioned this disclaimer. What Bluetooth are you referring to? I did not realize there was an option. Would it allow Bluetooth connection for music or phone? Cold you please elaborate?

Thanks,
Cale

Old 12-05-2010, 06:19 AM
harleyman1340
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Navy UC Rider
You mentioned this disclaimer. What Bluetooth are you referring to? I did not realize there was an option. Would it allow Bluetooth connection for music or phone? Cold you please elaborate?

Thanks,
Cale
To use Bluetooth you would need the Bluetooth module from Harley and I don't think they make them anymore. I have only seen one for sale on ebay in about a year. Not sure why they quit makeing them.

Quick Reply: Just installed Advanced Audio XM module