Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mp3 cd question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:45 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default mp3 cd question

I know I've been asking a lot of questions on here and I really appeciate all the help you folks have given me.

Here we go with another q.

Regarding the Mp3 CD. The stereo wasn't happy with any of my mp3 disks, so I burned a disk last night that had no folders and only maybe 50 or so songs. But when I try to play it I get a disk failure error.

It plays CD's perfectly, so I know the deck works. I can play the disk on my computer so I'm sure the disk is ok.

Maybe something to do with the format?? Anyone else have any luck with mp3 disks, any advice, trade secrets?

Thanks.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

make sure the disk is finalized

Old 12-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Bigredone
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Burn them as a data disc instead of a music disc and finalize.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also read that the HK MP3 unit has issues with sample rates over 128k. Another post indicated that some of the album artwork was causing issues. Kinda odd sounding to me, but that's how he got them to work...by removing the album art.

I've got a CD burned with nothing but 128k MP3's, and most include album art in the ID3 tag. I haven't had any issues with any of the songs yet.

I'd lean more toward the sample rate as the problem and probably not the album art.

YMMV, and good luck with it.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:57 PM
UH60Hwkdrvr
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts

Burn them at the slowest rate and as a data disc; no issues.

m.a.c.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:59 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

good point about the sample rate, I did think that might be the problem. My mp3's are all ripped using variable bit rate and the lowest setting. I only listen to them through earbuds from a little 512k player, so this way I can get maximum songs on the unit.

Maybe I can try ripping a cd like you suggested Phurion, at 128k sample rate, it's worth a try.

Bushy, Bigredone... The disks I made were data disks and I did close them out. They should be good to go. I'll try again with different sample rate.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:30 PM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you say "stereo" are you referring to your bike CD player or something else? Some older cd players, home or auto, won't play MP3s. If the one that doesn't play them is something older you're SOL. Additonally, if you finalize your MP3 CD, which you don't have to do, you won't be able to add songs to that CD. I never finalize mine and continue to add songs until it won't hold anymore. If you burn or copy just a music CD like you'd buy at the store, not MP3, you'll have to finalize those kind.

Last edited by hawg08; 12-05-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Greyboat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have another method you can try that I use. iTunes worked well for me in burning my MP3 disks. It is free, easy to use and will burn MP3 cd's that work on my 08 Ultra with >128kbit rates.
Ron

Old 12-05-2008, 09:19 PM
mlg911
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Sony player from bike tronics and had the same issues. I finally used Roxio cd creater and cut the cd in jukebox format and it worked perfectly. I think there are like 12 seperate folders on the disk.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:42 PM
gpp
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well,heres my 3 cents worth.burned mine at 32 kbs as a data disk.got about 400 songs on the disk and they sound fine.but,the radio cant play but about 266 songs due to something to do with the fat 32 what ever that has something to do with the computer itself.plus,the radio cant reconize but so many files,or songs due to it limitations to read but so many files .i have a dvd player that want play but so many songs and it quits also.i cant really explain this but its just what ive noticed on my 09 classic.and not to stir the pot but i didnt think that onece a cd was burned you could add to it.and i didnt think you could put the music in folders cause the radio cant open them.but i could be wrong.

Quick Reply: mp3 cd question