Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Keeps Crankin

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 05:27 PM
admiralcad
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Keeps Crankin

A couple months ago I was riddin my 05 Ultra and the stereo went off and I herd a terrible noise, scared the bejesus out of me. I killed the engine and rolled of the road, when I flipped the kill switch back on the starter, started cranking without me pushing the starter button and when the bike started, she just kept cranking. I shut it off and flipped the start button a dozen or so times, and when I turned the kill switch back to run, it was fine, bike started and ran fine, no problems. Until last week, riddin and it done the same thing, I like to never got it to stop this time but finely did.
I'm sure it's a ground inside the switch housing, but I have never had one of them apart. When I mentioned that I was going to tear into it my riddin buddy's ALL said DON'T do it dude, take it to the dealer.
Now I ain't a mechanical genius, but I ain't stupid ether, and I can't stand the thought of taking my bike in to let them charge me $70 per/hr to take out a couple screws, put a peace of shrink tube over a bare wire, and tell me that took 2.5 hrs. But I don't want to get into something that I going to cause more problems than I fix.
The things I've been warned about are,
1. The stereo control buttons breaking off in the switch, ruining the switch.
2. The break light switch breaking when I pull it apart.
3. The wires getting pinched when I finely put it back together after I go to the dealer an buy back everything else that I tear up fixing it.
Now my question is, has anyone on here had this problem, and if so, did ya fix it yourself or take it to the vet.
Is it really that hard (DANGEROUS) to take the switch housing apart without totaling the bike.
I'd really be grateful for any input.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:32 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the same thing happen. I got a little over zealous when lubing the throttle cables and got some oil on the switch. I left on a trip to the beach. The bike started doing what your's was. I knew exactly what caused it. I stopped and got some electrical contact cleaner. I took the housing apart and cleaned the switch. All was fine for the next 300 miles. During the next week, it would do it sporadically. I just kept cleaning the switch. Finally, I got all the oil out and the problem was solved.....That was 3 years ago. No problems since.

BTW, I had a buddy that had the same problem occur when he got his bike wet. The water was causing the circuit to make contact instead the oil in my case.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:40 PM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member

Had em apart, replaced em, repaired em.. More times then I can remember..
Not rocket science.. If yer mechanical, IMO.. do it..
Pay close attention when ya take it apart, notice how the brake lite switch works. Ya havta push the lever a bit to get everything back together and not mess up the brake lite switch or have a gap so the lite stays on..
Gotta learn sometime..
my .02
PT

Old 12-05-2008, 06:28 AM
captsam54
Road Master
Thumbs up

You can do it.. I never had the starter go off on me but I have had issues with the brake lights.. They (HD) do have a bunch of wires crammed in the housing and a couple probably vibrated together too long.. If you have problems were here to help.. that is what the Forums for..!! Good luck..!!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:26 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

First off...Welcome!
You can do it if you take your time and remember how it all fits together. I use a digital camera and take a few shots as I go along to help me remember how it all looked before I start taking it apart.

Another sugestion is to buy or borrow a service manual. Good luck to ya!

Last edited by harley-jones; 12-05-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:08 PM
admiralcad
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna get into it this weekend.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:24 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"The things I've been warned about are,
1. The stereo control buttons breaking off in the switch, ruining the switch.
2. The break light switch breaking when I pull it apart.
3. The wires getting pinched when I finely put it back together after I go to the dealer an buy back everything else that I tear up fixing it."

All the above but #3 the most common. When you solder the connections (after positioning the heat shrink tubing well away from area!), cover your tank and exposed areas with a good cover, use heat shrink (small alligator clips) on the wires so you don't cook the switch or the insulation, and stagger the solder joints so they will go into the cover easily (not side-by-side therefore thicker).