Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHT vs. FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Drew_72
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLHT vs. FLHX

Why is the Streetglide so much more popular than the Electra Glide Standard?

regards,
Drew

Old 12-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Kielbaso
Cruiser

My opinion is looks and features. The SG has a much more low slung bad a** look and has radio etc.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Drew_72
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kielbaso
My opinion is looks and features. The SG has a much more low slung bad a** look and has radio etc.
I just noticed that the FLHT seat height is 3" higher then the glide (unladen, at least... looks like only 1" laden)... is that right? That could definitely be a factor

Last edited by Drew_72; 12-04-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 705 Likes on 338 Posts

Clean looks, no rails around the rear bags, colour matched bag locks, stereo, black motor, clean front fender, smaller turn signals, lowered, smaller seat, and a great marketing campaign.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:17 PM
cfoster80
Tourer

Originally Posted by Drew_72
Why is the Streetglide so much more popular than the Electra Glide Standard?

regards,
Drew
The Street Glide has all the bare bones options with alot of factory custom features. You really cant beat the price diff. from the standard to the street glide. For a couple more thousand $$ you get a black and chrome motor, radio, sporty mirrors and turn signals, the seat and so on.

I thought about getting a standard but sat down did the math and found its alot cheaper to buy a street glide then buying a standard and then putting a bunch of money into upgrades.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:34 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

From someone who doesn't like chrome and would rather start with a blank canvas, I opted for the EGS. Another thing is the SG is not offered in denim black. If I would have went with the SG, I would have replaced the radio and speakers, removed most of the chrome, replaced the seat and so on. As you can see it would have been a waste of money for me. It all boils down to what you want and where you are going.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:43 PM
badblue
Cruiser

Some of the reasons I went with the SG over the EGS: SG is lowered, does not have the fender trim, does not have the extra lights up front, wanted radio right away, and liked the fairing mounted mirrors.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scout
Clean looks, no rails around the rear bags, colour matched bag locks, stereo, black motor, clean front fender, smaller turn signals, lowered, smaller seat, and a great marketing campaign.
Never saw a single ad for the SG before I bought one.

Actually strolled into the dealership to look at a used 2 year old Ultra when my current bike caught my eye. Needless to say, I rolled out on the SG, not the Ultra.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:47 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went back and forth and also went with the street glide. I have since put the bag gaurds on it in case of a parking lot mishap. I do like the denim black and in my opinion, rs4lf's bike is one of the nicest looking ones I have seen lately on this forum.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:48 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Thumbs up Agreed

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf
From someone who doesn't like chrome and would rather start with a blank canvas, I opted for the EGS. Another thing is the SG is not offered in denim black. If I would have went with the SG, I would have replaced the radio and speakers, removed most of the chrome, replaced the seat and so on. As you can see it would have been a waste of money for me. It all boils down to what you want and where you are going.

Thats says it all for me .. Was wanting a Street Glide until they offered me the FLHT for 4 grand less than a new 09 SG wanting to get it off the floor was their last 08.. except for Ultras ... Also Happen to love Denim Black and had enough Chrome shining for a while ..

Last edited by JayStronghawk; 12-04-2008 at 02:50 PM.

Quick Reply: FLHT vs. FLHX