Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall Rider Windshield Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008 | 04:57 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

+ one for the clearview windshield quality product

ride safe

Old 12-03-2008 | 06:54 PM
tn_chopper_man
Road Captain

Clearview here as well Dark grey 91/2" Blem(can't find the defect).
I have a 10" and 12" smoked wide customwindshield but prefer the clearview over that style. You may what to check out windvest also.
They show a larger recurve than clearview but I have not seen any reviews on them. According to their web site a 10" is for tall riders only.
I haven't found anything better than the Clearview myself.

Old 12-03-2008 | 07:34 PM
jmeyer58
Road Captain

I am 6'4" with a 34" inseam (tall body, short legs) and had a 2" oversize windshield. Took if off and went back to the stock shield. Did not like looking through the shield while leaning back on the backrest. Something to think about.

Old 12-03-2008 | 07:41 PM
rfultra
Road Master

Clearview with recurve! Enough said.

Old 12-03-2008 | 07:57 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm 6' 5" and have a 3" over that I cut down a little over an inch.

Works for me but I have been looking at the Clearview, heard some good things about them.

Krusr

Old 12-03-2008 | 08:27 PM
Vahoagie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Deepsouth251
I'm looking at these 2 windshields to put one on my 09 Ultra, take a look. I need input from people who have either especially tall riders who use one or the other. The one I am looking at from the first site is the last one on the page the 14" half moon. The one I am looking at on the Cee Bailey's site is the 15" without the vent. I will still slightly be looking over the top of either one.

http://www.customflhtwindshields.net...indshield2.htm

http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/flht_sel.html
I got mine from the first url "Clarks" and they cut it to 13.5" for me no extra charge. aThey are very good about customer service. I put 550 miles on it in one cold weekend. It worked very well eliminating a lot of wind buffeting that was there with my factory ws. I am 6'2" 290 lb so it moved a lot of air above/around me. It also keeps a lot of air off the hands which is good in cold weather.
Hoagie

Old 12-03-2008 | 08:28 PM
Deepsouth251
|
Road Master

OK, I started out asking about the custom wide shield(which I have now ruled out, I don't like the way it looks) and the Cee Bailey's shields, you guys have me convinced, along with looking at the Clearview web site that what I need is a 14" shield with recurve. I am 6'4" tall and I believe I would still be able to see over it which is a must for me. Is there anyone my height that has the same windshield and has no trouble seeing over it. I might mention I always ride with a backrest which keeps me in a fairly upright posture.

Old 12-03-2008 | 08:44 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

Man, I'I'll tell you what I have 6 windshields! Clearview is by far the best. You should call John and listen to his advice. Ask him what he has in blems and you will be absolutely fine. I just put the one he advised I use in the winter... 6'2" shrimp by the standards posted here... and his 8.5 recurve blows the doors off anything else... I do look through it, but I don't give a hoot in the winter! When summer comes I'll go to my cool dark shorty or dark grey mid recurve... I have a couple of hd shields including their large which I would be happy to sell.

Old 12-03-2008 | 09:30 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

The 8.5" Clearview w/ recurve shoots the air stream about 2 to 3 " higher then the shield. You can put your fingers up above the shield a 70 mph and feel nothing for air movement in that area. I am 6' tall and can see over it.

Old 12-04-2008 | 08:42 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deepsouth251
OK, I started out asking about the custom wide shield(which I have now ruled out, I don't like the way it looks) and the Cee Bailey's shields, you guys have me convinced, along with looking at the Clearview web site that what I need is a 14" shield with recurve. I am 6'4" tall and I believe I would still be able to see over it which is a must for me. Is there anyone my height that has the same windshield and has no trouble seeing over it. I might mention I always ride with a backrest which keeps me in a fairly upright posture.
I'm 6'3" with 34" inseam and run the Clearview 9 1/2" and it works great. Talk to John, I think the 14" would be a little on the tall side. With the recurve you can go lower by at least 2". LIke others have said ask him about a blem, most aren't even noticeable, save $$$ and usually has them in stock.

Quick Reply: Tall Rider Windshield Advice!