Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I being too picky?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:02 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Am I being too picky?

I've called every dealer near Denver for pricing and every one of them has been trying to jerk me around. All the standard responses were given:

"We're Harley, so we don't have to bargain."
"We're an MSRP dealer. Sorry."
"Anything lower than this is just not worth our time."

Here are the deals I've been offered...should I be realistic and accept this with our current economy, season, inventory?

1. 2009 Blue RK - 18,000 plus tax/title.
- Sec System + Riding class included.

2. 2009 Black RK - 17,500 (17,770 with cruise) plus tax/title.
- no security
- riding class, free delivery to house, free riders course, 20% off parts and labor until April.

3. 2009 Black RK - 17, 500 plus tax/title.
- no security
- riding class, free pickup/drop off for all maintenance, free riders course, 20% off parts and labor at purchase.

That's all days effort pitting these guys against each other. Those prices are about 20-25% mark up on invoice....am I being unrealistic about getting lower?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:05 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Go visit in person to show you are serious about buying. Most any dealer for anything doesn't want to dicker on the phone. It usually is a waste of their time. Cash money in hand might get you a bike at less than MSRP if you play your cards right.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Nitzo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's hard for me to believe that the dealer responses you listed really happened. But, if they did, and, I had called them and got that. I wouldn't be buying a Harley, not from any stealer.

Last edited by Nitzo; 12-01-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:07 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Go visit in person to show you are serious about buying. Most any dealer for anything doesn't want to dicker on the phone. It usually is a waste of their time. Cash money in hand might get you a bike at less than MSRP if you play your cards right.
I'm stationed in Hawaii and buying the bike in Colorado. Everyone of the dealers has gotten my speech about "I'd like to do this in person, but I'm across the ocean."

Old 12-01-2008, 10:12 PM
RussG69
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you talked to Rockey Mountain HD?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Try other dealers....southern california for instance. I know there ar dealers who will sell under MSRP. Also, i would insist no freight or setup.

I know others who have done this recently, so not just speculating.

However, as others have said, it might make a big difference if the person you were talking with KNEW you were going to buy and could afford it. Not exactly sure how "you" do that from Hawaii.

Stay with it, you'll save at leat a $1-2 k.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a look at the thread posted yesterday.

How to Buy a New Harley: 101 Some good info.

I don't think you'll have much luck cutting a great deal on the phone. They know you are shopping. Take the advice from Scubadog. Decide exactly what you want to pay and then make them an offer and be ready to buy. You can have someone in Colorado make the offer for you.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 On that Harley 101 thread. It was pretty good. Those responses are less than adequate. A dealer I called this year told me, "I don't care what deal you get offered from anyone, you call me before you buy, I'll beat it!" I thought that was pretty darn good. BTW, dealers name was Big Sky Harley in Great Falls, MT. NO AFFILIATION, so don't get confused with my screen name, just a coincidence. Lot's of BigSky this and that in MT. I only wish I could be affiliated. We're at least 150 miles apart.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:43 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer

I figured I'd get around the BS by telling them "I will buy a bike before Christmas. Give me your best offer and, if you pitch the lowest, you get the sale."

Tomorrow when I call in I may tell them 16K for black 16.5K for blue. Hard number...and they get 10% mark up.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Conehead
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MP, Thanks for your service! Can't you get some deal through AAFES? I know I have read on the forums about guys in the service buying through some program. Check this site:http://www.paulsmilitarysales.com/

Last edited by Conehead; 12-01-2008 at 10:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Am I being too picky?