Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I being too picky?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:57 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You need to be deployed at the time you buy...

Old 12-02-2008, 04:39 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

I bought my first bike over the phone. If you are trying to do that, you have to be ready to do it right then and there. Tell the guy you want to buy right now over the phone. The guy kinda freaked out when I did it. Said he'd never sold one over the phone. At the time, they were selling bikes for 10% over list. ( the new year models had just come out ) I told the salesman that I would pay list right now over the phone and give him my credit card as a deposit. He said he'd do it and it was a done deal. They didn't even have the bike in yet. Bought off their inbound list and had to wait a month and a half.

Pretty sad that I was excited to pay list, but back then it was a good deal.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:09 AM
nolafishr
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would Go in Person Myself and Deal, the Seond Deal you listed does not sound too Bad,I would get them to throw in the Security System, I would not do with out it. Keep Shopping around something will work out for you. I got the Dealer to throw in Security on My Bike, it already had Cruise and ABS Brakes.

2009 Road Glide - Red Sunglo

Old 12-02-2008, 05:38 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think those are competitive prices dealer wise, with an over under of a couple hundered dollars. Here is an example from a east coast dealer thats usually been decent with the're pricees:

http://www.collierhd.com/new_vehicle...51&pov=1074348

There are used same year, minimum mile deals out there ranging from just take over the payments to save my credit to flat out basement prices. You got to scratch around they're not coming to you. There has been some great used bike offers on the HD Forums Motorcycle for sale category, down near the bottom.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:39 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Like everyone else said. Nobody is going to deal over the phone, although you probably won't do much better than MSRP with some discounts, dropped freight, maintenance freebees, etc.. If your looking for a couple thousand off MSRP on an 09, your dreaming.
Pick two of those dealers and let them know when your coming in and buy that day. Sounds fun!
Thanks for serving.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by marinepilot81
I've called every dealer near Denver for pricing and every one of them has been trying to jerk me around. All the standard responses were given:

"We're Harley, so we don't have to bargain."
"We're an MSRP dealer. Sorry."
"Anything lower than this is just not worth our time."

Here are the deals I've been offered...should I be realistic and accept this with our current economy, season, inventory?

1. 2009 Blue RK - 18,000 plus tax/title.
- Sec System + Riding class included.

2. 2009 Black RK - 17,500 (17,770 with cruise) plus tax/title.
- no security
- riding class, free delivery to house, free riders course, 20% off parts and labor until April.

3. 2009 Black RK - 17, 500 plus tax/title.
- no security
- riding class, free pickup/drop off for all maintenance, free riders course, 20% off parts and labor at purchase.

That's all days effort pitting these guys against each other. Those prices are about 20-25% mark up on invoice....am I being unrealistic about getting lower?
When you say these prices are 20-25% markup on invoice, I'm curious as to how you know what the invoice price is ? I'm betting you don't !!! Good luck with your purchase. The last 2 prices look pretty good for what you are getting.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:14 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by marinepilot81
I'm stationed in Hawaii and buying the bike in Colorado. Everyone of the dealers has gotten my speech about "I'd like to do this in person, but I'm across the ocean."
Why are you not going through the military exchange? My dealer tells me that you can get a better price through them than they can ever offer. He said some bikes are below dealer cost.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:33 AM
fliphd
Tourer
Location: West central Illinois in the Mississippi river bottoms
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fully understand a man wanting to buy a new bike. But with the economy in the tank and getting worse every day I'm betting alot of people are selling there toys. I have'nt looked but I bet Craigslist has lots of bikes listed. Just an idea

Old 12-02-2008, 09:54 AM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

When you say these prices are 20-25% markup on invoice, I'm curious as to how you know what the invoice price is ? I'm betting you don't !!! Good luck with your purchase. The last 2 prices look pretty good for what you are getting.
I posted the dealer invoice in a different thread.

Why are you not going through the military exchange?
You have to be deployed for this deal.

If your looking for a couple thousand off MSRP on an 09, your dreaming.
I had to fight off other people to get my Fat Bob. Now, it's time for them to fight for my business. There's 10 dealerships between Greeley and Colorado Springs...If I don't get the price I want I'll just wait. Trying to make 3000 at my expense is crazy.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:08 PM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget the one in Pueblo. A lot of guys swear by them . . .

Attached Thumbnails Am I being too picky?-apes-033-small-crop.jpg  

Quick Reply: Am I being too picky?