Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help installing additional speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need help installing additional speakers

Im wanting to add two speakers to my fairing lowers, and power them with the HK fac head unit. Bike is an 08 Roadglide. Do I need a harness to add additional speakers and should I add an amp to power these?

Old 12-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Shoot PEZ a PM and ask him. He's the owner of Hog Tunes and offers a kit for what you want to do.

With the HK radio, IIRC, the rear speaker signal is accessed using the Ultra connector at the rear of the headunit. That Ultra connector is usually accomplished using the Ultra overlay harness that would carry not only speaker signals, but also PTT, volume and other functions for the rear passenger. You could fab your own getting the part numbers from the HD store and it would be less expensive than buying the overlay harness. You would need the dealer to flash your ECM to "turn on" the rear speakers/tell the headunit to power them--at least that's my understanding regarding the ECM. I have fabbed ultra connectors for other applications and it's not difficult.

You could also tap the outputs for the front speakers, but that involves placing additional load on the circuits which I'm not sure would work well for you.

No, you wouldn't need an amp since you are going from two to four speakers like an Ultra and they don't come with seperate amps.

Good luck with your project.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:56 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for hog tunes.... and Pez

Old 12-01-2008, 06:10 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and again i differ with the norm, call firecap501 for the arec audio setup. tell him blue sent you

Old 12-01-2008, 06:48 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

What a surprise...the guy asks for a product that Firecap doesn't offer but he still plugs him. Blue, you're like a broken record...I hope you get a good kickback from Firecap for all the spam you spread.

Harry

Old 12-01-2008, 07:39 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+2 for HogTunes and Pez.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Sincecrazy
Im wanting to add two speakers to my fairing lowers, and power them with the HK fac head unit. Bike is an 08 Roadglide.
How are you going to mount the speakers?As far as I know,Pez does not sell speaker enclosers for Road Glide lowers unless he just started to.

I'm in the process of mounting speakers to the storage boxes,1 down and 1 to go.I had them in the bottom of the boxes but found a better way to mount them on the front.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 12-01-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:39 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior

Im building some speaker mounts out of fiberglass that will bolt in to where the glove box does. It will hold a 6.5" speaker and measure roughly 8.5" down from the top of the fairing lower to clear the snap in vents I have. Ive finished the plugs, now Im working on making the molds. Ive had some request from forum members, and plans are to produce some. Heres a link to my previous bike and the radio I made for it.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-roadking.html

Old 12-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior

I finally got some info from the dealership. The HK radio is a four channel radio and has two output plugs at the back of it. One of the plugs drives/controls the rear speakers as mounted on an ultra. Does anyone know of the plug numbers from the back of this plug that drive the rear speakers?

Old 12-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Thirdup
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't Roadglide lowers are a totally different designed than batwing lowers? The face of the EG lowers sweeps forward ...where the RG's sweep aft (plus the glove boxes are sideways).....at least on the older style. So I don't know if a speaker mount like the one from Hog Tunes would even come close to fitting. I don't recall ever seeing any production speaker pods being sold specifically for the RG lowers, but there is a member who was working on RG pods and was thinking about producing them.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...aker-pods.html

Last edited by Thirdup; 12-03-2008 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help installing additional speakers