Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety riding course

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 07:38 AM
morrishuckeba
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Safety riding course

Have you ever taken safety riding course? What was the best thing you got out of the course. Would you recommend it.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:15 AM
BDHE
Cruiser

morrishuckeba;

I've taken the initial and the advanced course from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (http://www.msf-usa.org).

To be honest, I only attending the advanced course because it was offered to me for free. When I took it, I already had 28 years of big-bike experience riding the rollercoaster secondary roads in southern Missouri under my belt, and truthfully didn't expect to learn anything. Boy, was I wrong.

They had us doing handling and avoidance drills I frankly did not think you could do on a touring bike. I'm absolutely certain that because of the MSF training, I'm a better, safer rider today.

Bryon

Old 12-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Took the MSF Basic Rider course and have since taken the Experienced Rider course each Spring. The Basic Rider course is highly recommended--they will tell you that self-taught riders don't ride very well, and my experience riding with many other guys would confirm that. Brake useage and turning the bike are probably the two major areas of knowledge/skill acquired.

If you use the search function, you will get a lot of hits, almost unanymously favorable on taking the Basic Rider course; somewhat less on the Experienced Rider course. I take the latter to get a gauge on where my skills are at the beginning of the heaviest riding season for me.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:20 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Thumbs up Plus 1 on this..

Originally Posted by BDHE
morrishuckeba;

I've taken the initial and the advanced course from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (http://www.msf-usa.org).

To be honest, I only attending the advanced course because it was offered to me for free. When I took it, I already had 28 years of big-bike experience riding the rollercoaster secondary roads in southern Missouri under my belt, and truthfully didn't expect to learn anything. Boy, was I wrong.

They had us doing handling and avoidance drills I frankly did not think you could do on a touring bike. I'm absolutely certain that because of the MSF training, I'm a better, safer rider today.

Bryon
Couldn't agree more had a cycle license before Safety courses even existed to my knowledge anyway.. Took the basic because wife didn't want to go through it alone and even on the Basic opened my eyes a little so followed up with the Advanced and feel far more secure on the road ... Get the DVD "Ride Like a Pro" Will best the best investment you ever made...

Old 12-01-2008, 09:13 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the MSF course because it is mandatory to register the bike on Ft. Benning as with most other posts now. At first I saw it as an inconvinience, but am really glad I took it. Luckily it was free. My step dad just took it in Florida and had to pay like $250 or something. It is hard to pin down any one thing that was the most benefecial.....if you are pondering taking one, do it....

Old 12-01-2008, 09:19 AM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish they were mandatory in all 50 states to get a license. I've taken both and wish I had the time and money to take the ARC every year. I did just order the "Ride Like a Pro" video too. Looks like that goes over everything again. There's a couple big parking lots nearby that would be great to practice the slow manuvering drills.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Birdman143
Intermediate

I took the course with a friend who had very little riding experience. I did learn a few things and would reccomend it to anyone riding. The best I got out of it was alot more respect for front brakes and a 15% discount on my insurance. Anyone who has this course should get a discount, or a different insurance company.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:14 AM
The Old Man
Road Master

I rode for about 12 to 15 years....30 yars ago. Bought a new C50 Suzuki and rode that while waiting for the class to start. Thought that I was fine BUT the class should while I retained how to ride I was still making the same old mistakes. Glad I took it as now with the Glide I am much more at ease. Best $260.00 I ever spent on the bike.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:51 AM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member

Yep,

MSF basic and advanced.
As for what I learned?
Found out a lot of things I thought I was doing right, I actually was doing wrong.

(Still can't complete the CHP course on my Road King although I know many that can't either).
(Close but no cigar).

Krusr

Old 12-01-2008, 10:59 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member

Yup took the beginners course enjoyed and and learned alot from it. I need to take the advanced, just can't afford it right now!

As was said before, if you a thinking about it........just do it, it will make you a better rider.

Quick Reply: Safety riding course