Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety riding course

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 02:48 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,114 Likes on 356 Posts

As stated by most, I would also recommend both the courses. I took the basic one in '82 (post requirement) even though I've been riding bikes since '73 and just three yrs ago took the advanced (another requirement). I really helped me get used to my bike, and you learn alot about your ride in those courses, capabilities/limitations on braking, turning, manuevreability slow riding etc, etc.

No matter how good you think you can ride, you always learn somthin', and on two wheels, that somthin' could be enough to save your life.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:54 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i took the experienced, never took the beginner. scheduling conflict.

i had bought the "ride like a pro" cd - that helped a bunch.

but what i really liked about the experienced class was that you had someone critiqueing you. you might think you were doing something correct. but having an experienced instructor pointing out things you needed to improve on was what i found the best. things like, turn your head farther or you didn't let up on your brakes soon enough, etc.

plan on retaking every year

Old 12-01-2008, 03:26 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great option for any rider from what I have heard. My wife had no interest in riding but I hadher take the class with me just to get the feel for being on two wheels. She ended up getting a bike before I did. She still likes having a desingated driver from time to time and because of taking the class it makes hade her a better passenger. In contrast her father is always complaining about her mother as a passenger simply because she doesn't have tons of experience as a passenger and is always tyring to countersteer.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:52 PM
lmb1485
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the begining one a few years back and a few years after took the experienced one.I'd suggest it for beginners and for riders that feel like a refresher is needed.I learned that the only way to get to be a better rider is to practice period

Old 12-01-2008, 04:14 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take the advanced riding course every spring for practice. It's only $25 and a lot of fun.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:21 PM
morrishuckeba
Tourer

Thinks for your advice. I will be looking for a class.
Huck

Old 12-02-2008, 04:48 PM
rfultra
Road Master

i've been riding for a long time, and still took the course this year with my twin 18 year olds. i walked away with some great info, and also a new friend that i believe will last a lifetime. TAKE THE COURSE!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd never taken either course myself, didn't honestly think I'd get much out of it (been riding for 30+ years, starting on dirt bikes). My wife has been talking about getting her license, and, based on what you all have posted, I'm sure I'll be taking the course with her to see what this is all about. Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:03 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member

Met an MSF instructor for the US navy, and invited me to take the course for free, so I said what the hey. I have been riding for 15 + years, boy was it great amazing what you could do with the bike I was able to take the course with my fatboy at the time.The bad habbits we create while riding are definetaly pointed out in the advanced course. If you can take the course any course for that matter it won't be a waste. just my 2 pennies!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:12 AM
morrishuckeba
Tourer

I have signed up to take the class in Alamogordo, NM the 1/9/2008
Think's
HUCK

Quick Reply: Safety riding course