Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety riding course

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:04 PM
wkenddad
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only down side I saw of the course was that we were instructed on litte Honda 500cc Hawks.
After I climbed on my Ultra there was a little difference (DUH)

But, when I had to do an emergency braking manuver on the Ultra the procedures ingrained in the course kicked in and the bike stopped as expected.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:15 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

msf is a good start the ride like a pro video is the bomb-ride safe

Old 12-01-2008, 01:16 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly suggest them both. I felt this training was so important that I became certified as a Rider Coach this past year.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:28 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree with everyone else that the Experienced Rider Course will teach you things you never knew, even after a lifetime of riding. Worth every penny.
Our instructors had Ultras and rode them like they were Vespas.
I suggest you sign up as soon as possible since the schools tend to devote all of their resources to the beginner course first.
I tried for four years to get a class for twelve friends until I finally found one hours away in York PA. (We live in NY.) Made for a cool weekend ride and a tour of the Mother Ship, of course.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:53 PM
cap5369
Road Master

I took the class when I bought my 07 EGC, and I agree that everyone should take the class. It is an eye opener for sure and very good refresher. It is worth the money.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:56 PM
BDHE
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wkenddad
But, when I had to do an emergency braking manuver on the Ultra the procedures ingrained in the course kicked in and the bike stopped as expected.
THAT'S why skills/technique training is beneficial. When an "oh s**t" situation occurs, we often only have a fraction of a second to do the right thing (or not). When you have to respond by reflex, training kicks in.

Have you heard that old phrase "rise to the occasion"? Well, it's BS. What we do is default to our level of training during a reflex situation (ask a soldier, a cop, a pilot, etc). If you haven't practiced something, there's no way you can reflexively "default" to it.

Even better, the MSF courses spend some time talking about staying OUT of "oh s**t" situations, as well as effectively reacting to them.

Sorry if this sounds preachy, but "them's the facts".

Bryon

Old 12-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

The best money you could ever spend on your bike is both the beginning and advanced courses!!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:19 PM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the basic course and it taught me to never be cocky even on a small bike especially after I dropped it. Good lesson though

Old 12-01-2008, 02:21 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

WAY back when I learned how to ride, it was pop open a beer can, point out the controls, and STAND BACK.... either you augered it into something... or you survived.
Fast forward to 2003 and after I told someone what a good idea I thought the Beginning riders class was... his reply was "if you've never taken it? how do you know?" well putting MY money where my mouth was I took the class.
I was fairly confident in my ability to pass the class, and I already had a license, so the only thing I had to lose was $100 and a weekend
WHOA did I did a lot.... mostly avoidance , but throttle and braking control as well.
The instructors have good senses about them (mine did at least) and were quick to praise your strong skills, and get on your weak skills. I had a great time, and really appreciated the class.
I took the ERC the following year, and again with the purchase of the RG... It really helps to get out on the range, with an unbiased eye watching you.... giving you help.

I've taken the Ride Like a Pro class here in NC this past October, and again increased my skills

Will taking this class save your life? maybe... maybe not... will practicing these lessons save your life??? you betcha! When the avoidance skills are ingrained... you don't have time to think, or react... you just avoid

True story... I was riding to see my grandson, on a multi lane road. My wife was on her bike, about 3 seconds behind me.... car in front, signaled, and turned into the left turn lane, and slowed.... without so much as a look back the driver returned to the travel lane... no signal, no head turn, NOTHING.... as the car entered my lane, right in front of me... I did a quick mirror check, and then did a head turn to check my "blind spot" and switched lanes....because I've done my swerve practice, I just flicked the bike around what could have been a bad scene.

And remember... I was just as much, at fault as the driver.... I shouldn't have let them get as close as they did.
A superior rider uses their awareness to avoid using their superior skills

Old 12-01-2008, 02:25 PM
tano01
Road Captain

Originally Posted by krusr
Yep,

MSF basic and advanced.
As for what I learned?
Found out a lot of things I thought I was doing right, I actually was doing wrong.

Krusr
Same here...eye opening. I also had a lot of fun tooling around on those little bikes. I thought it was going to be a wasted weekend, but I am glad that I took the basic. Going to take the ERC in the spring.

Quick Reply: Safety riding course