Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started negotiations on 09' RK... Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:02 AM
titusvilleharley
Banned For Ripping Off HDF Members
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nice

very well said scubadog

Old 11-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Since you are able to pay cash for the difference between your trade-in and the new bike price, you should talk to the general manager or finance manager about financing your bike. I'll explain--the dealer makes significant $$$ by placing your financing. The dealer gets to keep his "commission" on placing the loan if the loan is paid off after 90 days.

So, speak to the GM about lowering the deal price by letting the dealer make $$$ on fiancing the sale, but plan to pay off the loan in 90 days.

As for the "deal," the discount and trade-in $$$ are basically "soft" money since you can raise one while lowering the other. Killer Creek HD has a deal where they offer $2K discount under MSRP provided the trade-in is done at KBB or some other similar used bike pricing guide.

As for Scubadog's description of the sales process as "lying," I can understand why he was unhappy with the job if he considered the haggling as "lying."

One thing I found surprising is how money is made in the sale. For example, the salesman makes a commission on the sale, but it's a flat rate, not a percentage. So, the "net" price to the dealership is irrelevant to him, at least in terms of how much he makes if you buy the bike.

Good luck with your search. Hope you find a bike and a deal that works for you.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 216 Posts

More great info! I never considered he finance thing... Hmmm.

Scubadog made some good points - I need to be in control of the deal, not the salesperson.