Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End "Chirping"

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 02:15 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

That's normal lol!

Old 11-29-2008, 03:52 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I also had a dry muffler hanger. I just sprayed the rubber with silicon spray and chirping noise instantly went away. This happened after I had ridden in heavy rain.

Harley sent out a fixit for noise related to the front brakes. Take the discs off, and reverse them. End of problem (if that is what your problem is). It has to do with harmonics, and the shape of the slot in the disc.

SERVICE BULLETIN
M-1192 July 10, 2006

SWAPPING AND ALIGNING FIXED DUAL DISCS

Purpose
It has recently been determined that swapping and aligning the front brake discs on motorcycles having fixed dual disc brakes can significantly reduce brake squeal.

Therefore, effective June 26, 2006, the front brake discs will be swapped and aligned on all production motorcycles having fixed dual disc brakes. The running change moves the former left side brake disc stamped P/N 44156-00 LEFT to the right side of the hub, and the former right side brake disc stamped P/N 44136-00 RIGHT to the left side of the hub. The vent holes are then aligned before the discs are fastened to the hub.

Also, in the interest of promoting customer satisfaction, Harley-Davidson will swap and align the front brake discs on affected motorcycles under warranty, but only when responding to customer complaints of excessive brake squeal.

Motorcycles Affected
All 2000-2006 model motorcycles, as well as those 2007 models built before June 26, 2006, having fixed dual disc brakes that exhibit excessive front brake squeal.

Required Dealer Action
NOTE
Obtain the applicable service manual for all removal and installation instructions.
1. Take note of the brake disc stampings. If left side brake disc is stamped P/N 44156-00 LEFT and right side brake disc is stamped P/N 44136-00 RIGHT, then swap the brake discs as follows:
NOTE
Another way to determine whether the brake discs have been swapped is to look at any of the five slots. Note that one end of the slot is bulb shaped and is more fully round than the other. On wheels where the brake discs have NOT Been swapped, the bulb shape is on the trailing end of the slot when referencing the direction of wheel rotation. On wheels where the brake discs have been swapped, the bulb shape is on the leading end of the slot.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 11-29-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:22 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesssman
I maybe old and very stupid, but could you explain how you adjust disc brakes?

My apologies,

After putting the new pads on, I adjusted the front brake lever to a point where it need very little pressure to engage. Subsequently after riding the bike a while and heating things up, I found the pads were rubbing ever so slightly on the rotors, guess I didn't take into consideration that the rotors may have warped slightly after all the miles they had on them. Adjusted the lever slightly and the rubbing (chirp) went away.

Krusr

Old 11-29-2008, 04:30 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member

[QUOTE=MNPGRider;4174935]
Harley sent out a fixit for noise related to the front brakes. Take the discs off, and reverse them. End of problem (if that is what your problem is). It has to do with harmonics, and the shape of the slot in the disc.

Motorcycles Affected
All 2000-2006 model motorcycles, as well as those 2007 models built before June 26, 2006, having fixed dual disc brakes that exhibit excessive front brake squeal.

Yep, Mines a 2000 and I remember the dealer had to do that but figured that wasn't the question asked and my first answer was a little misleading.

Thanks though,

Krusr

Old 11-29-2008, 09:48 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krusr
My apologies,

After putting the new pads on, I adjusted the front brake lever to a point where it need very little pressure to engage. Subsequently after riding the bike a while and heating things up, I found the pads were rubbing ever so slightly on the rotors, guess I didn't take into consideration that the rotors may have warped slightly after all the miles they had on them. Adjusted the lever slightly and the rubbing (chirp) went away.

Krusr
Um, no adjustment on the lever either, at least not on mine.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:12 PM
rc9636
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a chirping sound that was primarily at idle and low speeds. Turned out to be the
screws for the windshield needed to be tweaked.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:43 PM
cabbage
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a chirping sound that only happens when your at cruising speed and then open it up ...slight barely audible chirp happens. my chirp sounds different then this threads chirping, but it is chirping nonetheless. it takes the canine type hearing to hear it, but its there.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:03 PM
gregm
Cruiser
Default Front End "Chirping"

I fixed the muffler hanger chirping by cutting a piece of plastic milk carton to fit and inserting it between the rubber insert & the metal muffler mount. It can't be seen or fall out & should last forever (since the EPA says the plastic will never decay).
Gregm

Old 12-07-2008, 06:30 AM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My chirping was the front brake pads rubbing! I replaced the pads and rotor and it went away.