Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels Stained on 09 Ultra - How to clean?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 03:35 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 596 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Wheels Stained on 09 Ultra - How to clean?

My aluminum wheels have stains on them that look like soap stains. When I first washed it, I thought it would wash off. It didn't. Today I got serious about trying to clean them, and nothing I feel safe enough using makes any difference.

Imaging just letting soap dry on the wheels, that is what it looks like. I think the wheels are naked aluminum. I tried a little NeverDull on one spot, the stain became uniform, but did not go away.

Any magic elixer out there?

Attached Thumbnails Wheels Stained on 09 Ultra - How to clean?-wheel_stain.jpg  
Old 11-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by r0de_runr
My aluminum wheels have stains on them that look like soap stains. When I first washed it, I thought it would wash off. It didn't. Today I got serious about trying to clean them, and nothing I feel safe enough using makes any difference.

Imaging just letting soap dry on the wheels, that is what it looks like. I think the wheels are naked aluminum. I tried a little NeverDull on one spot, the stain became uniform, but did not go away.

Any magic elixer out there?
I would try the Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean. That removed the rust stains from the brake pads off the aluminum wheels on my truck.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:50 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 596 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Raaze07
I would try the Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean. That removed the rust stains from the brake pads off the aluminum wheels on my truck.
I'll try that.

Did you notice my bike is the same color as yours?

Attached Thumbnails Wheels Stained on 09 Ultra - How to clean?-09ultraleft.jpg  
Old 11-27-2008, 05:50 PM
shovel52
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I haven't dug into cleaning and polishing my new Harley's wheels yet, but I will this winter. With naked aluminum, you can get pretty creative. For really serious polishing work, I have even used sand paper to get to the aluminum before polishing. I have had a lot of Harleys but most of them have had spoked wheels. My '07 Deuce had the dish wheel on the back and it was not polished from the factory. When I put on the chrome pulley, I sanded the wheel with 400 grit and moved up to 600 and then to 1000 and then to 1500. After that I used a buffing wheel and some Mother's. It looked like chrome. I don't know what got on your wheel, but it looks etched by something. Anyway, all it takes is time, patience, and a grease fitting on your elbow. Ken

Old 11-27-2008, 06:09 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 07 has stains on the bare part of the aluminum wheels too. Its not as bad as yours though. Looks like water spots. I started out using chrome polish and it did some good, but it took a lot of rubbing. Then I tried polishing compound and it did a better job, but still alot of rubbing. When your rag turns black you know its working. I think I will get some regular rubbing compound (more abrasive) to try the next time I feel energetic.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:43 PM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lemon Pledge. Works great on brightening up the al. rims. Use a couple of cloths as they will turn black. Also, lemon pledge works great on brightening up the chrome, plastic faring, saddelbags, tour pack, side panels-any plastic part.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Masters Formula...nothing I have used works as well. It cleans, polishes all in one application without alot of rubbing.

Made my stock Ultra wheel look like polished aluminum in about 15 minutes

http://master-formula.com/english.htm

Old 11-27-2008, 07:02 PM
thehueg
Cruiser
Default S100 Polishing Soap

I had the same problem. S100 Polishing Soap took it right off with almost no pressure. I've used it now for a year on my 08 Ultra Classic aluminum wheels with no problems whatsoever! Great product and easy to use.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:09 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Best, and by the way, cheapest thing I have found is a powder called Cameo. You won't find it in the automotive section, but if you looked in the kitchen cleaning section, you'll see it. It was made to clean steel and aluminum pots and pans. I use it on all raw and polished aluminum, like the wheels on my car and truck. Use it with and drill and pad, (Powerball), or by hand on a rag.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:56 PM
PEZ
Tourer

I think you should also determine what caused this? Could this be hard water that sat in one spot for too long??

My 2 cents...PEZ

Quick Reply: Wheels Stained on 09 Ultra - How to clean?