Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Slip on's"

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Terry R. Stahly
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bassini

Has anyone tried Bassini True duals with or without their Megaphone mufflers or just the mufflers? I have a 09 Street Glide building a 113" motor.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Terry R. Stahly
4th Gear

Has anyone tried Bassini True Duals with or without their Megaphone mufflers or the mufflers only? Thanks trstahly at gmail dot come

Old 12-05-2008, 12:26 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the thunderheader slip ons and love the deep sound.....

Old 12-05-2008, 12:28 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Will-N-Missouri
I have a simple question, but Im sure the answer's arnt so simple......I am really looking for that "deep" sound, I have a 09 Street Glide, all stock, I cant afford a new system, so would slip on's give me the sound Im looking for? And........if adding slip on's, do I have to have the system adjusted? ...Im not looking for performence changes just sound..........Thank you in advance.....Will
Sound is subjective and the same pipes will sound different on two different bikes but V&H, D&D Fatcat, Rineharts and Samsons have a pretty good rep for having a deep, mello sounding skip-ons.

I had Thunderheader slip-ons and they were deep but loud and starting to draw looks for the PD's so I went back to Samsons Silver Bullets. Not as loud or deep but they don't draw so much unwanted attention either.

Krusr

Last edited by krusr; 12-05-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

The Thunderheader has the deepest and best exhaust note I've ever heard.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:46 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll put my two cents worth in and suggest the V&H Monster Ovals like others have suggested. Some of the deepest sounding I've heard. I did do the AC and Race Tuner and then dyno also, so not the cheapest route to go, but well worth it in my opinion. Check with Saturday Night Special in one of the above posts. He has a set for sale that he installed but decided that they weren't for him. (Bad taste I guess, just look at his choice of bike!) LOL Here we go "again" SNS!

Old 12-05-2008, 02:21 PM
MEGALifted
Tourer

I too am considering slip ons for my '09. Can someone provide or point me to some proof that shows a tuner is needed for only slip ons? I have been told numerous times by my dealer that the S.E.R.T. is required when adding an intake and exhaust. I'm not looking for the intake, just the exhaust. I don't guess I understand the need for the O2 sensors if they're not being used.

Does nobody have an Air/Fuel reading for before and after slip ons only?

Old 12-05-2008, 02:27 PM
ajay450
Tourer

Rush slip ons. Good, low sound. Around $370 a pair. If you use the 1.75 inch baffles you really don't need to do anything with air and fuel adjustments. I had the 1.75's and went down to the 1.5 inch baffles for a little quieter sound.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:01 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraTheo
I'll put my two cents worth in and suggest the V&H Monster Ovals like others have suggested. Some of the deepest sounding I've heard. I did do the AC and Race Tuner and then dyno also, so not the cheapest route to go, but well worth it in my opinion. Check with Saturday Night Special in one of the above posts. He has a set for sale that he installed but decided that they weren't for him. (Bad taste I guess, just look at his choice of bike!) LOL Here we go "again" SNS!
Touche Ultra,

I had to read that two different times before I cought that.

(Anyway, the MO's are sold, they went on ebay about a week ago. Interesting was that my set of MOs was not the only set of 09 used ones on ebay at the time.)

Last edited by RODEO; 12-05-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:30 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MEGALifted
I too am considering slip ons for my '09. Can someone provide or point me to some proof that shows a tuner is needed for only slip ons? I have been told numerous times by my dealer that the S.E.R.T. is required when adding an intake and exhaust. I'm not looking for the intake, just the exhaust. I don't guess I understand the need for the O2 sensors if they're not being used.
Changing the mufflers will change the way the engine breathes. Our EFI does not directly measure the amount of air entering the engine the way our cars/trucks do. Our Harleys have the airflow at various throttle-position/rpm combinations programmed-in. By changing breathing things those values will become wrong. For the past few years the H-D parts/accessories catalog have suggested that their mufflers do not, themselves, require an ECM programming while their freer-breathing intakes do.

This implies the "Adaptive Fuel" mechanism in the ECM can pick up the minor variations induced by changing mufflers but not the major ones induced by changing intake configuration.

As for my own experience, I did not like the way things were going with just Rush 2" mufflers on my '07 FLHRC so I picked up a piggyback controller and went ahead with the K&N airbox "just because." I've since graduated to a TTS tuner, which is the old SERT with more/better capabilities.

Quick Reply: "Slip on's"