Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Slip on's"

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:43 AM
ShooterSteve1953
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going with the Rineharts, SERT and high flow air filter. I have been told over and over that you cannot make any changes to the exhaust without changing fuel/air system, i.e. fuel computer and air cleaner. If you increase flow out of the engine, it only makes sense that you need to change fuel flow to match. The engine will run cooler and more efficiently too. I believe they are too lean in stock form, and putting on the slip ons can make it even leaner which means hotter and can damage your engine.

This is what I have been told by many qualified sources, but if I am incorrect please correct me.

Thanks.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:01 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Steve,

That is exactly why I am removing my Monster Oval slip ons after using them once for about two hours. I could tell the bike was breathing better and I could almost swear I had more power too. Yea the bike ran very well, no popping at all etc. but I know it was running leaner because of the better flow and you are right, that in itself is not a good thing. Simply put, I didn't want to do any further modifications at all and thus decided to put the bike back to stock. I also think that the stock 09 mufflers are pretty good themselves which added to my decision. I'm not trying to start a debate (and won't answer to one either) but did want to agree with your statement.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:10 PM
SlimsSG
Tourer

I have a pair of reinharts on my bike now - but what I have in my picture are a set of Wild Pig's, with 2" baffles. I simply went with the reinharts becuase of the look (I got the black ceramic ones). The Wild Pigs are a great, deep sound. I'm selling the ones pictured here if you're interested.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:17 PM
jack49
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ShooterSteve1953
I am going with the Rineharts, SERT and high flow air filter. I have been told over and over that you cannot make any changes to the exhaust without changing fuel/air system, i.e. fuel computer and air cleaner. If you increase flow out of the engine, it only makes sense that you need to change fuel flow to match. The engine will run cooler and more efficiently too. I believe they are too lean in stock form, and putting on the slip ons can make it even leaner which means hotter and can damage your engine.

This is what I have been told by many qualified sources, but if I am incorrect please correct me.

Thanks.
Just throwing on a set of high flow mufflers and no tuner adjustments will make
the bike leaner and hotter,but the muffler only boys don't want to hear this.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Supertrapp SE's have a nice low rumble and are a little louder than the new Screaming Eagles.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:14 PM
rc9636
Cruiser

Have the Jackpot mufflers from Fuelmoto and real happy with the sound (nice low rumble crusing and a real growl when rolling on the throttle). Contact Jamie @ Fuelmoto about needing adjustments.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:16 AM
jchill
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all this info is great but I need more 'education'. I'm somewhat new to the Harley world. Got my first one July 2 of this year. it's an '05 RK classic. I have stock mufflers and am looking for a more deep throated sound. A friend has Rush on his '05. replaced his SE's. V&H and Rienharts, I hear tons about. sound of course is a personal choice BUT advice and also what would need done as in tuning would be helpful.

Thanks all for helping a 'rookie'

Old 12-05-2008, 11:02 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jack49
Just throwing on a set of high flow mufflers and no tuner adjustments will make
the bike leaner and hotter,but the muffler only boys don't want to hear this.
Correct and no, they don't and many of them will continue to spread the "old cliche" that as long as you change either the pipes or the air cleaner and not both, that you are OK to roll. That may have been true for older bikes but does not apply to the new 08s and 2009 models.

There's a thread not far from the top now with some giving just this sad advice. But the topic can become confrontational at times and it is best for each to do their own research and reach their own decisions..

Old 12-05-2008, 11:10 AM
NAVY TEAM1
Novice
Default V&H monster Slip-ons

Vance and Hines makes a monster oval that is made to fit the 09 touring bikes and they have the sound yer looking for. You can go on their website and listen to them. Make sure you have a sub woofer hooked up to your pc to hear it. You might want to do the stage one upgrade and download if you ad slip ons to your bike. Check with yer local shop.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:51 AM
rc9636
Cruiser

I highly recommend the performace package from Fuelmoto and at $689 shipped for the entire stage 1 you can't beat the deal, and they sound great!

Where in MO are you? I'm just south of STL if you want to come by for a listen!

Last edited by rc9636; 12-05-2008 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: "Slip on's"