Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For give me. I may sin.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 11:36 AM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I missed it, but have you given thought to trailering your bike down when you go visit? You can get a tow hitch installed for 200.00-300.00, buy a trailer for 2k or so (or more, but still less than a "2nd" bike) and drive the thing down. Nothing wrong with trailering. Spend time with your Dad. Seriously. Spend time with your Dad; speaks volumes to your kids. Spend time with your Dad.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:28 PM
CDP1911
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what its worth.

If you are dead set on getting another motorcycle for FL. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with buying a nice used metric.

I own a Road King and a Road Star. I switch in between these two bike regularly. The Road Star has plenty of power, and is reliable as hell. You can get into a used Roady for low dollars per smile factor. Other than that, U know u own a Harley. ***** what anyone else thinks.

That's the way I see it. That's the way it ought to be

Old 11-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ride whatever you want, screw what anyone else thinks and spend as much time with pop as you can, while you can.

Here's the other deal. If you're sending the kid to 50K a year school, you probably have your act fairly well together. So sell some stock, farm some home equity or take out a 5K personal loan and add it to the 8K and get what you want. Chances are that you'll get most of your $$ back on the Harley someday.

The other option is take whatever you need from the 50K college dough, buy what you want, and tell the kid to take some responsibility for the balance.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:57 PM
lmb1485
Tourer

It's ultimatley your choice follow what you feel is best.I ride two bikes also.my main ride is the ultra.the roadstar I let one of the boys ride most of the time.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There are lots of Harleys you can get for 8K or less. I'm looking at an 84 FLHS for $4,000, it runs good but needs some detailing.
If it ain't a Harley, well......it just ain't.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:08 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yawn!

Old 11-28-2008, 10:47 PM
BigFokker
Tourer

Originally Posted by SG 1
Dude, nothing wrong with that. I rode 2 metrics, a Suzuki and a Honda, before I got the Harley. They build trouble free, quality machines, but like you, I always wanted a Harley. You'll miss the HD sound and feel when your on it, but for the limited time you will use it, at least you'll be in the wind on 2 wheels...get the bike you want so you can ride a little.
+1

Originally Posted by Mr Zip
you don't have to prove anything to anybody. Get whatever bike you want.
The best words yet!

Originally Posted by Arizona
Nothing wrong with it. It's only a bike you ride a couple times a year - better than not riding at all!
+1

If you're open to the metric world, then I'd suggest looking at the VTX line. You can definitely get a used VTX1800 less than 3 years old for $8k.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:52 PM
rfultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey pal, you do what you want, BUT........ my Dad use to say "If you feel bad about something, chances are there is a reason why".

Old 11-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

I'd look for a FXR or better a FXLR....I love those lowriders.....
check cycletrader on line....deals to be had

Old 11-28-2008, 11:21 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, now let's get creative and safe. I see lot's of nice used HD's on Ebay... why not take out a student loan for a portion of the 50 and use it for the bike you want! You pay the loan, interest is deferred in some cases. We've been paying 30 a year for 3.5 years. One semester left, but now we have a wedding! She's a great kid and I'm thrilled, but we may need to do a loan for the second semester just so we can pay the wedding. Perfectly legit, Loan gets paid directly to the school and you take you freed up cash flow and buy a bike that you won't lose on and a bike that you know for safety's sake.

Quick Reply: For give me. I may sin.