Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For give me. I may sin.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 07:30 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

The choice is yours!

Old 11-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

I wouldn't be tossing money into a depreciating asset that is going to sit for months on end and then only be used sparingly.

Buy something used, I don't care what manufacturer it is. If you can find a used bagger in the 03 vintage in your price range buy it. Otherwise my suggestion is used, fuel injected and cheap.

I don't know how much seat time you have in Florida, but I find the old folks to be a hazard, the rice bike squids to be a menace, "Love Bugs" to be paint destroying creatures, and the whole state in general to be like a 10 year old girl... flat with no curves. Oh did I mention the heat? The traffic? More reasons to go water cooled rice bike, or a VROD.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:04 AM
rsofa
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spend some time with dad! Why have the maint. and insurance RENT on when you want to ride!

Old 11-28-2008, 09:21 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I went to a Yamaha dealer last year and took one (1300) out for a 20 mile ride. When I got back for some reason I felt dirty. Not sure why since the bike is so smooth. Seemed un-American to me.

Seems strange that so many people feel that way, me included, that riding a harley is the ultimate expression of American freedom. I rode Jap bikes when I was young and didn't care but now it gives me pride to ride american.

Now if the car makers in this country could make you feel the same way .........

Old 11-28-2008, 09:45 AM
wildcat465
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Send the kids to the Community College for the first two years. That'll give them time to get their prerequisites done at a much lower cost, save you money, and allow you get the bike you want. There are many good community colleges out there with transfer programs with universities. The kids can also get education loans and grants to pay the tuition themselves. This is a win-win. They go to school, you get the Harley and spend time with your Dad.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Glideguy08
Tourer

The choice is yours! Do what you want to do. I am sure you will make the best choice for you and your family. Good Luck

Old 11-28-2008, 10:14 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
Another vote here on spending time with your dad. Just rent one when you can and invest that $$$ in your kid's education that way they will thank you at a later date. Family comes first then Harleys comes later.
Rent is a great idea, you may not even like riding dn there w old cagers, please no offense since I'm considered one. Another thought is just to get an older metric for $1,500-3000 because resale is going to hurt in this economy on all bikes.

Best wishes for you and Dad, these things are always tough.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:28 AM
sparky1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what you want,I have an 05 yamaha V-Star hardly ever ride it,figured I'd use it for work,but no way can't leave the Ultra in the garage(lol) once you ride a H.D. don't wanna ride anything else.Do what you think is right for you,don't listen to anyone else,thats just my opinion.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:49 AM
JBA111
Road Captain

you seem to change your mind alot, 4 bikes in a yr and 1/2. so go visit pop and do some really hard thinkin about what ya want to ride down there. Then when you finally have a firm grasp on what ya what go visit pop and rent an Ultra. ride that baby 500 miles.
then when you go back to the buckeye you will be trashin yur brain on how to trade the RK in on a new Ultra!!!!

Old 11-28-2008, 11:21 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
Honda has a ton of nice bikes that you can pick up used for a great price. I've been riding with a buddy that has a Suzuki M50 it's a very nice bike and seems to run between 4-5 grand used. Anybody that cares what YOU are riding has some issues they should probably resolve. There are lots of great bikes out there, enjoy and ride safe.
Used M50 easily had for 3k if shopping around. They are not great Florida bikes.

Quick Reply: For give me. I may sin.