Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 more time - Metzler or Mitchelin

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008 | 08:00 AM
TheShrink
|
Road Warrior
Default 1 more time - Metzler or Mitchelin

I'm going to be taking the Ultra in for the 10,000 mile service and I'm going to go ahead and have both tires changed. I've been leaning pretty hard toward the Michelins because of what I've heard on here. Should I stay with that?

Old 11-25-2008 | 08:45 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

I have had Michelins on for a year and about 7,000 miles,I liked the way they felt compared to the Duns,they got slightly better wear,just put on the Metz 880 radial,has lots of meat feels very secure,I think they are going to be the best yet,radials on car tires were a huge improvment,I think the same is going to be true for bikes.Don't know if they are aviable from your Harley dealer though,also if you have the extended warranty that covers tires,don't know if they would be covered.Havent got many miles on the Metz yet ,but so far I like their look and feel,the best.

Old 11-25-2008 | 08:58 AM
anaquin
Advanced

I don't have any experience with the Metz, but I only ran Michelins on my FLSTC and although I ran mostly highway miles, 200 miles round trip to work, the handling and the mileage I safley got out of them was great. When my tires are up on the SG the Michelins will be going on it.

Old 11-25-2008 | 09:11 AM
Junebug
Advanced

I have Michelins on my 07 RG and they far outhandle the Dunlops, But I have never had the Metz so cant compare to them. I have heard the Metz are slick from some people and from others that say they love the Metz. so two each is own.

Old 11-25-2008 | 09:16 AM
ponomo
Advanced

Metz for the win. I've been trying to run them at the recommended tire pressure, but they seem a little stiff. If I bleed off a little they ride like champs / locked in.

Old 11-25-2008 | 09:36 AM
mopar
Cruiser

I have run both I personally don't think there is a lot of difference. Its more of a matter of preference. I am going with Michelins when mine are due to be changed.

Old 11-25-2008 | 10:56 AM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member

Avon

I like'm

Old 11-25-2008 | 10:59 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

I have Michelin Commanders on my SG. They are far superior to the stock Dunlops and I am very satisfied. The only thing I don't like is that the rear tire, although the proper size, has a narrower look. Since I prefer a fatter look I will try the Metzlers when these wear out.

Old 11-25-2008 | 11:08 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior

Can I get either with a (thin) whitewall?

Old 11-25-2008 | 12:01 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

You didn't ask about alternatives to the two mentioned, but I'll volunteer one other option: Dunlop Elite 3. I installed an E3 MU90-16 on my '07 SG in response to positive reviews seen on various HD and Honda Goldwing forums. The E3 was originally designed for the GW to address wear issues, has been getting mostly rave reviews from that crowd and has picked up some popularity with HD owners.

Performance is excellent, wet or dry, and I can report about 50% better tire wear than on the first two D402s installed on this bike. At this point I have about 7500 miles on this rear tire and a tire-wear gauge shows 6.5/32" center tread. A new tire has 11/32", so I'm expecting to get 15k or more out of this tire, a 50% improvement over the stock tire. Another advantage is that they are cheaper than either the Commander, Metzler, or D402 if purchased from a mail-order outfit like Ron Ayers (www.ronayers.com). FWIW, Ayers has free shipping on orders of $100 or more thru Jan. 4, 2009.

Quick Reply: 1 more time - Metzler or Mitchelin