Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 more time - Metzler or Mitchelin

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008 | 06:28 AM
ddwyer
Tourer

Originally Posted by skootchnc
Michelin IS French-owned
Metzler IS Greman-owned (made in Brazil)
Dunlop IS British-owned
Firestone is owned by Japanese
That leaves you with Cooper,Hoiser,and Goodyear... which , last I looked ,none of whom make motorcycle tires

What "American Owned" motorcycle tire company you got in mind?
not to mention, all that "made in China" stuff ya see at the dealership
No offense to the French, but.....F!#@ the French.

Old 11-26-2008 | 08:06 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by ddwyer
No offense to the French, but.....F!#@ the French.
F!*@ 'em all and feed 'em fish heads....
but the boy DID say he only was gonna use AMERICAN made tires.... and I'm STILL waiting for the list of tires made by an American company....
that poor guy, probably thinks it's "Dunlop tires made by Harley Davidson"... LOL

Old 11-26-2008 | 08:23 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by EdwardK
Are other tires really that much better than the stock dunlops?

My front Dulop is the original. Getting close to needing replacement now at 25,000 miles but still not in the yellow on my tire gauge. My first rear lasted over 13,000 miles ( It still had tread but was going on a trip and wanted a fresh one) and I still have 4.5/32 of tread left on this rear tire with around 12,000 miles. Almost all of those miles comuting on the freeway. Oh yeah, and I check the air pressure religously. I must have checked the air pressure twice ...maybe three times since I bought it.

I always wonder about people commenting about how much better a different tire feels when they change from the Dunlop. The crappiest new tire is always going to feel better than the Dunlop you just took off that had 12,000 miles on it. I'd like to hear from someone who has ridden two identical bikes with different new tires on them. That would be the only way you'd get a fair comparison of "feel".

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with the stock Dunlops that were designed for my bike by the tire manufacturer and authorized by the bike manufacturer.
Ive ran the original dlaps on my 99 fatboy, 15 in back and 22 in front. Went to Metzlers and ran 35k and the ride was much smoother. Never going back to dlaps. My 07 RG has oems with 15k and am dumping them next week (chrome rims). Havent decided on Metz, or the Michlens.
Dlaps last the longest because they are a harder rubber, than the Metzlers that why they are smoother. Now the Avons are the softest and stick the best but last the least miles. Its all about the level of ride you want.
I really want to look at the Michelens for comparison this time, but I can say I have experienced dlaps andd Metzs for over 80k miles, push the bike to the edge and beyond sometimes. Metzlers worked for me.

Old 11-26-2008 | 08:43 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by EdwardK
Are other tires really that much better than the stock dunlops?

My front Dulop is the original. Getting close to needing replacement now at 25,000 miles but still not in the yellow on my tire gauge. My first rear lasted over 13,000 miles ( It still had tread but was going on a trip and wanted a fresh one) and I still have 4.5/32 of tread left on this rear tire with around 12,000 miles. Almost all of those miles comuting on the freeway. Oh yeah, and I check the air pressure religously. I must have checked the air pressure twice ...maybe three times since I bought it.

I always wonder about people commenting about how much better a different tire feels when they change from the Dunlop. The crappiest new tire is always going to feel better than the Dunlop you just took off that had 12,000 miles on it. I'd like to hear from someone who has ridden two identical bikes with different new tires on them. That would be the only way you'd get a fair comparison of "feel".

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with the stock Dunlops that were designed for my bike by the tire manufacturer and authorized by the bike manufacturer.
+1
Tom

Old 11-26-2008 | 08:57 AM
scootertramp
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dh2683
The Metz 880 are now made in Brazil.

Amen on buying the American Tire!!!!!!
Not all Mtzes are made in Brazil. I just put a 140/90 (because it has an over 900lb rating) on my RG. It's still made in Germany. The front MT90 (130) is made in Brazil though. I ran a Dunlop E3 on the back for 10000 miles. Pretty impressed with the mileage but it didn't handle like a Metzler. especially on the dirt! I live miles back on a dirt road and flat tracking ability comes into play for me. Especially on Wednesday nights when I meet the boys for dice & pool! Them metzlers handle power slides like no other!

Old 11-26-2008 | 06:44 PM
dh2683
Supporter

You guys should do a search & you would see that HD Dunlop Tires are made at a GOODYEAR-DUNLOP plant in Buffalo NY.That's why it says Made in USA on the sidewall. Last I checked that would qualify it as a MADE IN THE USA TIRE. I Know some have talked abought foreign ownership of Dunlop but I am concerned that People in the USA have a job first.

Old 11-26-2008 | 08:08 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

Metzler 880's
Stick like glue!

Old 11-26-2008 | 09:08 PM
Rethy
Advanced
Default Dunlop is the only M/C tire made in the USA

I have ran all of the brands mentioned and until recently preferred the METZ 880. However the last Brazilian made is not going to get the mileage I am used to with the tires made in Germany. I will try the Dunlop E3 next time as I like to keep the Americans working but never liked the D402 on the rear. Fronts were okay but rear sucked. I like the looks of the tread pattern on the E3, it appears to be a good rain tire as well.----------Rethy

Old 11-26-2008 | 10:12 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jbob
+1[/QUOTE]

Hey jbob and those that have believed jbob,

Look in your HD GENUINE Motor Parts catalog.

You will see that the Michelin Commander Series is "authorized by the bike manufacturer" and sold by HD. Been that way for well over a year now.

I am on my 4th Rear Michelin and 2nd Front Michelin. Yes, they out handle New dunlop 402's hands down.

Almost got an Avon Venom last time, just for grins and giggles, but I have been so happy with the performance of the Michelins I did not. May give them a try yet.

Accelerating very hard in a sharp corner was not an option with the 402's they would break loose much too easily. With the Michelins I will feel a tiny slip every now and then...nothing to worry about. I suspect with the Avons being softer that would not happen at all...not sure how long the tire would last me though. lol

Old 11-26-2008 | 10:24 PM
TheShrink
|
Road Warrior

I ordered from Dennis Kirk today and got a pair of Commanders shipped to me for $244.98, my local dealer wanted $322 plus tax because they had to order from Drag.

Quick Reply: 1 more time - Metzler or Mitchelin