Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 more time - Metzler or Mitchelin

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008 | 07:04 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by mickael moore
Forget it if it ain't American made. We need to start standing by the Country that has treated us all so well. Michelin is a French company. Metzler sound German to me, could be wrong. But we just had to have an American Bike, so let's see how much American we could put on it.

07 Ultra

Once A Marine, Always A Marine
Michelin IS French-owned
Metzler IS Greman-owned (made in Brazil)
Dunlop IS British-owned
Firestone is owned by Japanese
That leaves you with Cooper,Hoiser,and Goodyear... which , last I looked ,none of whom make motorcycle tires

What "American Owned" motorcycle tire company you got in mind?
not to mention, all that "made in China" stuff ya see at the dealership

Old 11-25-2008 | 07:12 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master

Avon Venom X

Old 11-25-2008 | 09:39 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

Are other tires really that much better than the stock dunlops?

My front Dulop is the original. Getting close to needing replacement now at 25,000 miles but still not in the yellow on my tire gauge. My first rear lasted over 13,000 miles ( It still had tread but was going on a trip and wanted a fresh one) and I still have 4.5/32 of tread left on this rear tire with around 12,000 miles. Almost all of those miles comuting on the freeway. Oh yeah, and I check the air pressure religously. I must have checked the air pressure twice ...maybe three times since I bought it.

I always wonder about people commenting about how much better a different tire feels when they change from the Dunlop. The crappiest new tire is always going to feel better than the Dunlop you just took off that had 12,000 miles on it. I'd like to hear from someone who has ridden two identical bikes with different new tires on them. That would be the only way you'd get a fair comparison of "feel".

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with the stock Dunlops that were designed for my bike by the tire manufacturer and authorized by the bike manufacturer.

Old 11-25-2008 | 10:12 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
I have Michelin Commanders on my SG. They are far superior to the stock Dunlops and I am very satisfied. The only thing I don't like is that the rear tire, although the proper size, has a narrower look. Since I prefer a fatter look I will try the Metzlers when these wear out.
Streetrunner:

Interesting you should make that observation. When I went from stock Dunny's to the Metz's, I noticed the rear tire was a bit taller and narrower than the Dunny -- though the installer confirmed proper size and fitment.

On the experience of the Metz, I've noticed that I'm going through the back tire faster than I did on the stock Dunlops -- and I'm not nearly as impressed with the handling as I thought I would be from the reviews here on the board. The rear tire gives me an occasional "squirrly slip" when turning at slow speeds, like when starting through an intersection and turning - either way. So, I'm either going back to Dunlops or may try the Michelins, though I've heard that they are a thinner and softer sidewall -- not necessarily what I want if there is a blow out at highway speed.

Where is the E3 for the Ultra????????? My friends with Goldwings can't say enough good about them -- and they aren't made for the Ultra yet.......

Old 11-25-2008 | 11:21 PM
BigFokker
Tourer

Originally Posted by skootchnc
Michelin IS French-owned
Metzler IS Greman-owned (made in Brazil)
Dunlop IS British-owned
Firestone is owned by Japanese
That leaves you with Cooper,Hoiser,and Goodyear... which , last I looked ,none of whom make motorcycle tires

What "American Owned" motorcycle tire company you got in mind?
not to mention, all that "made in China" stuff ya see at the dealership
+1
My money has been going to the Germans (Brazilians) for the past three bikes, and once I decide on new wheels for this one they'll be getting some more.

Old 11-26-2008 | 03:26 AM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarleyWood
Avon

I like'm
+1. Same here.

Old 11-26-2008 | 03:59 AM
jbob
Cruiser

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with the stock Dunlops that were designed for my bike by the tire manufacturer and authorized by the bike manufacturer.[/QUOTE]

+1

Old 11-26-2008 | 06:00 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by tphillips
Streetrunner:

Where is the E3 for the Ultra????????? My friends with Goldwings can't say enough good about them -- and they aren't made for the Ultra yet.......
Originally Posted by BigFokker
+1
My money has been going to the Germans (Brazilians) for the past three bikes, and once I decide on new wheels for this one they'll be getting some more.
Tphillips.....Where is the E3 for the Ultra??? I'm not sure where you've looked.... but my Road Glide lists the same tire sizes as your Ultra... and for the pre-2009 16" wheels... thay are EVERYWHERE and in that weird size

BigFokker...I've had Metzlers on the last bike, AND this bike.... and I LOVED them....but I gotta admit these E3's rock...

Tires are like women... it's all about how you and them react..... I know people who have 10 year old bikes, with orginial tires (yes they're dry rotted, but the bike gets less thn 1000 miles a year, so who cares?), and I have friends that run through 3 rears and 2 fronts in a year... and wear a bike plum smack out, in 5 years....They don't worry about "resale value, because they aren't expecting any

Old 11-26-2008 | 06:21 AM
buckmc
Tourer

On my 2nd set of Dunlop Elite 3's.This tire is a real winner as far,as my world goes.They wear great at least 16,000 on the rear,if you keep a close eye on your air press,you'll get 20.On wet roads can't beat them

Old 11-26-2008 | 06:23 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member

I have had several sets of Metzlers and now have Michelins on my Springer. The Michelins may be a touch smoother feeling, but either is an excellent choice. I have not had the Michelins long enough to talk about the mileage.

Quick Reply: 1 more time - Metzler or Mitchelin