Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 more time - Metzler or Mitchelin

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008 | 12:56 PM
Junebug
Advanced

Originally Posted by iclick
I have about 7500 miles on this rear tire and a tire-wear gauge shows 6.5/32" center tread. A new tire has 11/32", so I'm expecting to get 15k or more out of this tire, a 50% improvement over the stock tire. Another advantage is that they are cheaper than either the Commander, Metzler, or D402 if purchased from a mail-order outfit like Ron Ayers (www.ronayers.com). FWIW, Ayers has free shipping on orders of $100 or more thru Jan. 4, 2009.
But does it hook up when you get on the gas? dont want a spinner when I roll on thru a corner or dump the clutch from a stop. If it is to hard to hook up then its no good either.

Old 11-25-2008 | 01:06 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

I believe the Michelin out grip the Metzler... but the Metzler out lasts the Michelin, both out shine the stock Dunlop
I replaced my rear Metzler 880 with a Dunlop Elite 3, so far... 8000 miles and counting,they are outlasting the Metzler, and grip well also. I still have the front Metzler 16,000 miles and plenty of tread and grip
Michelin?
Metzler?
Elite 3?
all work well, and last better than the OEM's... as always YOUR miles will vary

edited to add:
regarding "roll on" and tire spinning.... as with ANY tire, it's a matter of throttle input... I imagine, if you wick up any tire, it WILL spin, but so far under what i call "normal" riding, I've rolled the tire from tread end to tread end, blasted through curves, and I've never had the tire get away from me.... no spinning, and it hooks up from the get-go.... but... I only have a dinky little 88, with just a stage one.... the big boys might have other stories... but usually they LIKE a tire that spins...

Last edited by skootchnc; 11-25-2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Junebug's question
Old 11-25-2008 | 01:25 PM
Silverstone
Tourer

I've never had Michelins but I've had Metzeler ME880 Marathons on three bikes and done many thousands of miles with no problems.
Having said that I've just gone with a set of Avon Venoms on my 07FLHT. Just thought I'd have a change.....only done about 1500 miles on 'em, O.K. so far.
They were about £40 ($55) cheaper for the pair than Metz.

Old 11-25-2008 | 02:35 PM
woodysan
Novice
Smile ME 880's!

Me 880's Hands down,I have had numerous sets on different model H-D and was NEVER more pleased. The ride difference is incredible from stock. Woody

Old 11-25-2008 | 03:32 PM
coolmac
Tourer

Metzler's me880, the best set I have tried so far.
The Metzler tires do not grow at highway speeds.

Old 11-25-2008 | 03:52 PM
mickael moore
Cruiser

Forget it if it ain't American made. We need to start standing by the Country that has treated us all so well. Michelin is a French company. Metzler sound German to me, could be wrong. But we just had to have an American Bike, so let's see how much American we could put on it.

07 Ultra

Once A Marine, Always A Marine

Old 11-25-2008 | 03:54 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Good point. I'm all about buying American.

Old 11-25-2008 | 04:34 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Junebug
But does it hook up when you get on the gas? dont want a spinner when I roll on thru a corner or dump the clutch from a stop. If it is to hard to hook up then its no good either.
I've had no traction problems at roll-on except once when I was accelerating lightly through a sharp curve on wet pavement when rolling over a lane-divider strip. I was going only maybe 15-20mph and the rear slipped briefly, then caught after moving off the painted strip, with only a quick fishtail that was easily controlled. It was a bit unexpected and scary, though. FWIW, I've had this happen on these paint-strips before with other tires, so I can't blame the tire. I've also discussed this with friends who ride sport bikes, and they have the same issue with soft-rubber performance tires. The moral here is to avoid these paint strips like the plague when the pavement is wet! They are very slick and potentially dangerous.

I don't do holeshots or burnouts, so I can't comment on the E3's traction in those situations. I do engage in spirited cornering, however--and like I said I've had no traction issues in either wet or dry with the E3 rear, whether braking, accelerating, or cornering. I still have the original D402 on the front, so the bike still has the tendency to follow longitudinal road imperfections, a quirk the E3 is supposed to eliminate. When this front tire wears out I will replace it with an E3, of course, which should nix this problem.

Old 11-25-2008 | 04:49 PM
TheShrink
|
Road Warrior

I appreciate all of the feedback. I know there's alot of good tires out there and everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. I am going to go with the Michelins this time and, if for some reason, I'm not happy with them, I'll do Metzler next time.

Now, what is the proper size and where's the best deal?

Thanks again!

Old 11-25-2008 | 04:51 PM
dh2683
Supporter

Originally Posted by mickael moore
Forget it if it ain't American made. We need to start standing by the Country that has treated us all so well. Michelin is a French company. Metzler sound German to me, could be wrong. But we just had to have an American Bike, so let's see how much American we could put on it.

07 Ultra

Once A Marine, Always A Marine
The Metz 880 are now made in Brazil.

Amen on buying the American Tire!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 1 more time - Metzler or Mitchelin