Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 RKC engine buildup help...please

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:35 PM
my06NT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic
I take about 10-12 hours for this kind of build, in my own garage on my own time.6 hours for a dyno tune is about right for a great tune if the guy knows what he's doing. Some people can do it in 2-3hours.Steve
Thanks Steve for all the great info. I think I will just go for the build and not look back. There is always somthing better, if you look hard and long enough for it, so I will just be happy with what I get.Thanks again.Mike.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:58 PM
kansasroadking
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by my06NT
Kansasroadking, is that your dyno chart with just a SE air cleaner and RH exhaust? Do you have a tune or download? Those numbers seem very high for a stock bike, most Harleys I have seen with a complet stage 1 done are in the low 70's for hp and tq, whats the secret. Just wondering.
Thanks,
the secret is matched components. and there are alot better choices out there than HD stuff.... it has to be or they couldn't sell it...

no that's not my bike, my '06 has a carb and I am FI system illiterate
it's from the HQ web site, http://www.head-quarters.com/html/testimonials.html , scroll to the bottom of the page, and don't forget that it also has a HQ34 cam, that is designed for stock heads & compression ratios and a *correct* tune.

keep in mind that dyno's can vary quite a bit, you might make 103tq on Joe's, don't change a thing, ride down the street and only make 94 on Jim's.... dyno runs aren't the end all - be all.....
Steve, (maineultra) gives solid advice, he's been there, done that, as most of us have been, and spent a ton of unnecessary cash on stuff that didn't work out.
if you do want to go all out, go with a *complete*, matched component kit from a reputable builder, HQ, R&R, Hillside, BigBoys, KOC, GMR, etc. a 10.5:1 build from any of these guys will SMOKE an all SE HD build, and probably for less money... and if you can't put it all together yourself, find an indy shop that will, their labor rates are usually lower than the HD shop. the times they have quoted are not out of line to me, IF they do it RIGHT and don't rush through it.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:01 PM
kansasroadking
Road Captain

Originally Posted by my06NT
Thanks Steve for all the great info. I think I will just go for the build and not look back. There is always somthing better, if you look hard and long enough for it, so I will just be happy with what I get.Thanks again.Mike.
Good Luck Mike,

did they say anything about comp. releases?, 10.5:1 has a tendency to eat starters....

Old 11-24-2008, 10:12 PM
kansasroadking
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kansasroadking
Good Luck Mike,

did they say anything about comp. releases?, 10.5:1 has a tendency to eat starters....
continued....
just somethin' to ask them about

I don't mean to sound negative and truly hope you're happy with your build.

ride safe,

K.