Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You Don't The Extended Warranty w/Tire Protection Ain't Worth It? Think Again!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:34 PM
sniperduce
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
Yeah, $1800 for a $200 tire, that's a great deal.
5yrs of full HD coverage plus tire & wheel coverage costs maybe 20 bucks a month over a 5 year loan for piece of mind. Seems like no brainer to alot of us......

Old 11-23-2008, 10:07 PM
ron bayless
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flylock
Yep it's an insurance policy is what it is. You are betting that you'll need to use it, and they are betting that you wont. Just another roll of the dice, if you will.
dANG, I FEEL KINDA STUPID NOW.yOU GUYS MADE SOME GOOD POINTS.BUT IN MY CASE,MY BIKE HAS 69,000 MILES ON it-sorry for the caps,forgot to unlock-so i figured my odds of needing something expensive done are higher than most others odds.Do ya'll agree?

Old 11-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Whether you buy the warranty or not there will always be an "expert" in the crowd that knows what's better for you than you do.

I passed on the warranty but bought the tire and wheel coverage.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:31 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
Whether you buy the warranty or not there will always be an "expert" in the crowd that knows what's better for you than you do.

I passed on the warranty but bought the tire and wheel coverage.
How much to get just the tire and wheel coverage?

Old 11-24-2008, 09:54 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sniperduce
5yrs of full HD coverage plus tire & wheel coverage costs maybe 20 bucks a month over a 5 year loan for piece of mind. Seems like no brainer to alot of us......
Finance guys love people with the attitude "it's just a few more bucks a month"....

Old 11-24-2008, 10:48 AM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Saturday Night Special,

In FL, the dealers are not allowed to discount the warranty...stupid insurance commission rules.

IAMSWUTIAMS,

That tire coverage meas free tires for life. I know a guy who pounds a nail intot eh tire a block from the dealer, drives to the dealer, and rolls out with new rubber. Not saying I'd do this, but...

Harry

Old 11-24-2008, 10:53 AM
wkenddad
Tourer

I still remember Chris Rock in the Remake of Heaven Can Wait when he is talking about insurance.

He said it shouldn't be called insurance.
He should be called "In Case ****".....

That about sums it up.
You save money if you don't pay for it, but if **** happens your glad you have it.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Insurance: A wager in which you bet something bad will happen to you, you pay someone to bet against you, & hope he wins.............

An extended warranty *can* come in handy, but usually costs more than it pays out. Logic tells us that whatever the cost, $1000/$1200/$1900, you have to have repairs of at least that value just to break even. After those repairs the warranty is doing some good on other repairs.

As for the wheel/tire damage, your full coverage vehicle insurance will pay for damage done in potholes, road debris, etc.

If the O.P. is happy with his purchase, fine. I've never paid for extended coverage, & I never will. JMO, YMMV...................

Old 11-24-2008, 12:09 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by russl179
We had a toy run this morning starting from Kannapolis, NC and ending up at Pat Rogers HD in Concord, NC. In the middle of the ride, my rear tire took a nail and went flat. After a few turns (between 15-25 mph) I had the feeling that my back end was getting loose, so I pulled off the road and the tire was done. Pat Rogers, to his credit, had a chaser vehicle behind the ride and towed me back to his store. I presented the service department (which thankfully was open) my extended warranty/tire and wheel protection certificate. Within 1/2 hour, I had a new tire installed. Zero dollars. So, please, don't tell me that the extended warranty and the tire coverage isn't worth the cost. It saved me over $200 today. Hopefully, I will never have to use this coverage again....but, at least, I know it is there when I need it.
Not everyone who takes the extended coverage is going to have problems.
It's a gamble, you just happened to win. Some people take the coverage and never need it. In their case, they're gonna say it's not worth buying the extended coverage.
You take your chances either way. I decided not to buy the extended coverage and use the cash for upgrades, and hope nothing serious happens to my bike.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:15 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I cashed mine in and paid for the 95" kit and gear cams. For me, better investment than "peace of mind". A lot more fun too.

Quick Reply: You Don't The Extended Warranty w/Tire Protection Ain't Worth It? Think Again!