Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep Your Warranty Vaid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 03:47 PM
HogBack
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep Your Warranty Vaid?

Is there any situations where you must use the HD dealer(s) to preform the scheduled services, to keep your warranty valid? I have found in the past on a service, that they do not really check everything anyway, and have found the oil low, etc., a few minutes after it was just done. Your facts will be appreciated. Thanks much.

Old 04-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Motosurf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Keep Your Warranty Vaid?

Do you own at the prescribed mileage intervals following the service manual and keep all receipts for fluids and parts. Take your time, don't over torque and give your bike the TLC only an owner can appreciate.

06 FXDBI

Old 04-07-2006, 04:20 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as I know you can do everything yourself (within your capabilities.) As long as something you did (or didn't do) doesn't directly cause a problem for which you are making a warranty claim then there shouldn't be an argument over the warranty. In the oil threads there was much discussion about using other than HD lubes. As long as you are using quality oil of the correct weight and changing at the prescribed intervals your good. Talk to the local dealer about it and see what they say. The shop I use (when I have to) is pretty good about DIY stuff. my .02 cents

Old 04-07-2006, 04:32 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I DREAD taking my bike anywhere for any kind of service and only go to the dealer for WARRANTY ISSUES. Learn to maintain/service your own ride and you will enjoy it that much more. Find someone that will come to your house to work on things you are not comfortable with. Many dealer techs do "after hours" work at reasonable rates, ask around! Dealers normally charge 3-4 times what they pay the techs and also jack up the actual time required, big money$$$maker. Find a dealer that offers great discounts on parts (Zanotti).[sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 04-07-2006, 04:44 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Federally mandated Magnuson-Moss act states that a manufacturer may not require the use of a specific brand of aftermarket product unless it is provided free of charge. This is more about the BRAND of products you use, but good to know just the same.