Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 01:39 AM
bearammus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch

Anyone had any problems getting an ignition switch back together after removal? I may have taken mine apart wrong. Not sure if I broke something internal to the ignition module or if I'm doing something wrong re-assembling. Also, looks like the process for removing the ignition module is going to be a major effort because it will not clear the handlebar top mount plate which is not easy to get loose because of the inner fairing and stereo (09 flhtx). Any help is appreciated.

Bear

Old 11-22-2008, 06:32 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep. I let my fork move over into the locked position with the ignitition switch disassembled. It was like working a jigsaw puzzle getting the fork unlocked and everything lined up and back in. Just keep trying until everything lines up right. Good news is you probably have not broken anything.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Yes, been there.

Looking down into the ignition switch housing there are two tumblers (one about half way down and the other at the bottom) that have to be aligned correctly for the switch **** to be inserted and operate correctly. The tumbler at the far bottom is the folk lock. Find a screwdriver that will pass through the first tumbler and is able to rotate the bottom tumbler.

Rotate the handlebars all the way to the left stop.
Rotate the bottom tumbler counter clockwise until the folk lock engages.
Move the screwdriver up and rotate the midway tumbler so they align.
With the key in the switch know and the bottom button depress, insert the switch **** all the way and turn the key to release the bottom button.

Move the switch **** to all it's positions to make sure it's functioning correctly before the bike is move.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:51 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more tip: Make sure after you slide on the spacer on the switch housing you put the screw on right. It will work both ways. If the smooth part is not facing the ground the switch **** won't work properly. Found that out the hard way.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by MassHD
One more tip: Make sure after you slide on the spacer on the switch housing you put the screw on right. It will work both ways. If the smooth part is not facing the ground the switch **** won't work properly. Found that out the hard way.
Good point. Should look like this.

Attached Thumbnails Ignition switch-switchknob.jpg  
Old 11-22-2008, 04:14 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Kent Moore's HD-45962 ignition alignment tool cost $63.18 which I think is incredibly overpriced for the tool that it is. However, I put it on my Christmas list cuz I always fug up my ignition when I take it apart.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
Kent Moore's HD-45962 ignition alignment tool cost $63.18 which I think is incredibly overpriced for the tool that it is. However, I put it on my Christmas list cuz I always fug up my ignition when I take it apart.
Ouch!!! I've had it apart enough now and know which screwdriver to choose, I think I have it down now.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:53 PM
bearammus
Advanced

Thanks for all the input, went and borrowed the alignment tool from the dealer. Worked like a charm.

bearammus

Old 05-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Sean Dempsey
Cruiser

I am bumping this..

Long story short, I took apart the speedo-tach nacelle off my road glide, and the rest of the switch housings as well.

well, it appears that my late father, in order to put on his custom apes and risers, had separated the bottom of the switch housing (figure 8 in that diagram), and all the stuff inside there spilled out onto the garage floor.

Now, I have a bunch of strange parts that aren't in that diagram, and I gotta get them to go back together somehow. Has ANYONE dealth with this before?

Old 05-01-2009, 04:13 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I've had mine apart now three times and it went back together without a hitch.

I always flip it to the off position( straight up). Pull the switch out and lay it where it won't be disturbed and the shaft doesn't move.

I can move the forks left or right to do whatever I need to do. When I'm ready to install the switch, I set the forks straight, install the cover plate and assorted pieces, slide the switch back in facing up and it drops right in (after depressing the tab).

By writing this, I'm probably going to have trouble the next time I take the switch off.....

Last edited by HDV-GLIDE; 05-01-2009 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Ignition switch