Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:36 PM
gregm
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield Cracking

'05 EGC. In the last week I've had a flat 8" & a pre-formed 10" windshield (both acrylic after-market) crack at the mounting screws. The 8" cracket at the left side screw, then totally split in two at the center screw location after the screw fell out. The 10" has cracked at both the left & right screw locations, after I installed it with 1/32" rubber tape along both sides at the bottom. I'm treading the fine line of tightening the screws enough to keep them from falling out (I thought) & tightening to the point of pulling the threaded inserts out of the inner fairing plastic (it happened twice). I have switched these windshields several times over the last 2 years but have never had this problem. I slowly tighten the screws evenly while I wiggle the windshield to make sure it's seated. I Am I missing something?
Gregm

Old 11-22-2008, 12:29 AM
troy.j
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i had to guess, over tight.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:21 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had 1 do the same thing. Just par for the course. Went with a clearview and much better now with no cracks.I think it was just to thin and the flex is what cracked it.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:34 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

This is why the OEM windshields are made of Lexan. It is far more crack-resistant.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Old Gray Beard
Cruiser

Have you checked the fairing mounting brackets???

Old 11-22-2008, 08:28 AM
Javawave
Tourer

On my last bike I had that happen, I had a WOC fairing on it. I switched to a Clearview and never had the problem again. With the more brittle shields you are using, "snug" is too tight. I had them crack while tightening them down.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:46 AM
harley1005
Tourer

The windshields will crack if you have the screws too tight. You are only suppose to lightly snug the screws that clamp the windshield between the inner and out fairings. If you dog them down real tight the windshileds will crack after riding a short period of time. I've even had mine replaced way too tight at the Harley Dealerships. If anyone ever has your fairing off always check to see if they have over torqued these screws.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Thirdup
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there, done that. I change my windscreens out about once a week depending on conditions (I run a 6", 8", and 10" Fastaire). I've had the screws fall out (I always keep a spare now) because I'm careful not to over-tighten them. Still, I noticed a crack in my 6" Fastaire screen last week.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:58 PM
gregm
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield Cracking

Thanks to all, it's nice to know I'm not alone on this. I have a polycarbonate windshield on order. I'll check the brackets, the torque on the screws (I needed to get an in/lb torque wrench anyway) and carry an extra screw or two.
Gregm

Old 11-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought I had cracked my Clearview the same way, but it turned out to be the black coating they put at the base of the shield had wrinkled slightly. I couldn't tell it wasn't until I actually pulled a little of the coating away and the shield was fine.

Quick Reply: Windshield Cracking