Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What was I supposed to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 06:17 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What was I supposed to do?

Glad to hear that it wasn't more serious and you weren't physically hurt.

Look at these types of incidents as an opportunity to raise motorcycle awareness with cagers...

That said, the most non-confrontational way I know of to let the other party know that you're going to follow-up is to ask to "trade insurance info". In a lot of areas (including here in Dallas and many of it's suburbs), if a driver can't provide proof of insurance at an accident scene, their car is towed and impounded on the spot. Also keep in mind that you can be injured and not realize for several hours - or the next day. (Don't ask me how I know this.) In any event, I would never let the driver of an auto off the hook - let's help raise the awareness of bikes on the road.

my $.02

Old 04-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Cache
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes indeed, he's caused this single vehicle accident!

He deserves a citation for negligent driving, failing to stop at a stop sign or making a turn w/o stopping. If you can testify to his driving, the police can issue a citation, bottom line. Don't let the police tell you they can't. If so, seek a supervisor until you get satisfaction. You are the victim, not the suspect.

I know you prob. felt ackward, but hey, business is business. It's your baby, a HD!

You can certainly take him into civil court and seek a monetary judgement.

If you know this dude, call him and ask him for some compensation.

IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO MAKE A POLICE REPORT! CALL THEM! TELL THEM YOU HURT YOUR LEG, NOW YOU HAVE A ACCIDENT W/PERSONAL INJURY. THEY HAVE TO TAKE A REPORT! GET A REPORT NUMBER AND CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY.

If this means something to you, you have options. I am not an att'y, but have experience in handlin PI accidents reports.

[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 04-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad you aren't hurt. I am curious however why you chose to lay the bike down.

Rubber has much more grip than metal, and should have been able to stop much faster. Even if you have an impact, the speed will be reduced greatly compared to laying it down speed.

I'm not criticizing your action. I have been of the mindset that it's never the right thing to do, and I am interested in other peoples reasoning for doing it.

Too late now for the most part. Now you get a new cell phone. Not too bad if you can sign a new contract.

What model cell was it? Maybe people here have parts? I know i've got lots here at work that are in drawers missing this or that.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:34 PM
CharlieZ
Tourer

Glad you are ok. I ride around 10,000 miles a year. Been to Sturgis and Daytona with no problem. I came close to laying my RK down 2 blocks from the house. I would of called the police and had a report written up. Glad you are ok. Laying a bagger down will get your heart pumping.

Name:  Sturgis_2005103.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  83.3 KB

Old 04-07-2006, 09:30 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Something similar happened to a friend of mine. Cop said if the car didn't make contact he has no case. I thought that was bull but that's what happened. Main thing is your alright!

Old 04-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

shoulda beat his ***...scuff his crash bars abit

Old 04-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm glad you aren't hurt. I am curious however why you chose to lay the bike down.

Rubber has much more grip than metal, and should have been able to stop much faster. Even if you have an impact, the speed will be reduced greatly compared to laying it down speed.

I'm not criticizing your action. I have been of the mindset that it's never the right thing to do, and I am interested in other peoples reasoning for doing it.

Too late now for the most part. Now you get a new cell phone. Not too bad if you can sign a new contract.

What model cell was it? Maybe people here have parts? I know i've got lots here at work that are in drawers missing this or that.
I was still in my left turn. I took the Rider's Edge Class and I knew I had to straighten the bike up before I could make a complete stop. By the time I would have gotten her straight and hit the brakes I would have been in his back seat. I instead leaned the bike further left to turn away from him. It was like the sport bike race where they drag their knee. Well you can't drag your knee on a Road King. Also he saw me in the last minute a was able to bell to the shoulder. And another truth is where you look is where you are going. I couldn't take my eyes off the car!!!
I do have a new cell phone and it's up and running.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Manish_Hawg

I was still in my left turn. I took the Rider's Edge Class and I knew I had to straighten the bike up before I could make a complete stop. By the time I would have gotten her straight and hit the brakes I would have been in his back seat. I instead leaned the bike further left to turn away from him. It was like the sport bike race where they drag their knee. Well you can't drag your knee on a Road King. Also he saw me in the last minute a was able to bell to the shoulder. And another truth is where you look is where you are going. I couldn't take my eyes off the car!!!
I do have a new cell phone and it's up and running.
Thanks for the reply. That all makes sense. See, they don't tell you everything at school

Old 04-07-2006, 10:40 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I would have had a bit of rage, would have felt like doing things that would have cost alot more than the repairs. I think I could restrain and just turn it in on insurance and hope his rates go through the roof.............They would at least get a verbal thrashing

Old 04-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Slider
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I was involved in a similar accident a couple of years ago. A lady and her Caddy decided that they needed to pull out in front of me. I was going about 40-50 at the time and didn't have time to come to a stop...the bike was going to hit the caddy and I decided it was better to not be on it. So, I laid it down and let it play with the Caddy. There may have been another way to handle it, I couldn't come up with anything else at the time. I kept the jacket and helmet as a reminder...they don't look so good anymore...the bike was totalled.

Quick Reply: What was I supposed to do?