Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's not a freak'n wobble!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 01:03 AM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ratcat and Spizzy wont have any issues, you have brand new bikes. Their not even broke in yet...LOL You shouldnt have these issues with the upgraded frames. The 1999 Ultra I ride has 3 week spots: swing arm, chain tensioners, an M&M fuel injection (works great for me). The brace is a cheap fix. You have better electronics, frame and swingarm and fuel injection along with a paper mache crank... I would doubt you'll ever have the issue...

Old 11-22-2008, 01:29 AM
Avmech97
Road Master

It may not be a wobble but I experienced a pretty violent occilation of the handle bars on my RG when riding a somewhat spirited pace through Atlanta a while back . The bike went through 2 lanes and on to the shoulder before I got it under control again. I learned a valuable lesson about how critical the adjustment of your steering head bearings is. I adjusted the steering bearings and despite the swingarm bushings being slightly worn there was no more wobble/occilation but I do agree that a brace could'nt hurt. Ride Safe out there!

p.s. The hand of God was probably a big help too!

Old 11-22-2008, 01:31 AM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally we have some clear insight into the cause, or rather the bogus claims, of bagger wobble. The so called problem is only in people heads and doesn't really exist. The solution is to have everyone ride the same bike (Must be a, '08 black RKC), on the same roads, with the same options (bars, pipes, a/c, chrome bits), at the same speeds, at the same temperatures, and you must all have the same miles on your bike. Everyone must also be the same weight, height and hair color. You also have to smoke the same smokes, wear the same leathers and boots. You must ride in the same wind conditions and above all else, you must drink Tequilla (The brand is important.).

Gees, I thought it was just me. Thanks for the help - I feel safer now.

Can you guys also help me with my truck? I don't get the same gas mileage as you do.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:43 AM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Patron, please! Ah....excuse me,......yo........HEY.....I MEAN THE BIG GLASS!

STRAIGHT PLEASE..... THANK YOU, NOW'LL I'LL TAKE MY THIRD..

PLEAASE.................

Old 11-22-2008, 01:43 AM
96 Ultra
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ratcat
So help me here guys...
My 08 Ultra handles way better than my late model Chevy pick-up,
Should I go on the Chevy Forum sights to find a fix for it? I would really like it to handle like a new Corrvette.
Just unscrew the radiator cap, remove the vehicle and replace with a Dodge...

Old 11-22-2008, 06:11 AM
binkman78
Club Member

Originally Posted by 96 Ultra
Just unscrew the radiator cap, remove the vehicle and replace with a Dodge...

I almost felt "the wobble" on that one......right out'ta the chair.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:17 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master

I have had the dreaded wobble hit me a few times some times Harder then Others, and it's not a figment of my imagination I almost S%%% on myself so it does exist. If this so called shade tree Mechanic fixes work then so be it

Old 11-22-2008, 06:43 AM
bostonjim
Intermediate

Okay, I am new here, and new to HD's. From what I am gathering is that pre 09 there is a slight "wobble" problem. Some feel it worse than others. What did HD do to fix said problem for the 09's? It sounds to me as if they put in beefier bushings on the swing arms. That sounds like it would make sense. I guess my question is why not replace your bushings and fix the problem proper instead of putting a band aid on by putting a brace on the bike. Some one said earlier that you may be looking at cracked frames later on. That might be a bit extremem but you are putting preasure on a spot on the frame that was not designed to accept said preasure. If it were me, I think that I would rather fix the problem right and be done with it. Just one less thing to worry about. Just my .02 cents.

Jim

Old 11-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Rain
Tourer

Originally Posted by scg1953
I agree with you except for the " some guy working out of a 2000 sq, foot ... " part. Some of the best mods. have been from exactly this type of guy that thinks outside the box to fix a problem.

In the software /IT industry this would called a "third party opportunity" meaning let another company design and sell a product to take care of an issue that isn't important enough for a solution by the company that released it.

I think many of us expect complete perfection from our HDs as they cost so much and have been around so long you'd think they would have worked out all the kinks. Nothing's perfect...

Old 11-22-2008, 08:17 AM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PITA
Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

Type in "bagger wobble" in google and you'll start to see how pay per click ads and banner ads for brace suppliers work. It shows that this whole "wobble" thing has taken a life of its own, kinda like when 60 Minutes did that whole Audi "unintended acceleration" thing. Nothing was ever proven, there wasn't a hint of evidence, but it almost ruined Audi and it's been estimated that they took 15 years to recover.
After years of litigation the final outcome of the Audi thing was that the driver of these vehicles with "unintended acceleration" was stepping on the wrong pedal. For some reason 60 minutes never dedicated a show to this final court finding. Almost ruined a fine automobile company. At my house we call it "60 seconds" because that is how long it is allowed to stay on the screen. BTW, never felt the wobble on my 2000 RK either. If and when I do I'll probably check the swingarm bushings.

Quick Reply: It's not a freak'n wobble!