Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's not a freak'n wobble!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:40 PM
scg1953
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flgator529
PITA you are dead on. A little Flex no wobble. There is no doubt that any bike could be improved but it is always funny to me when someone is convinced that some guy working out of a 2000 sq, foot rented building with 2 employes has engineered a part that is better then a OEM part engineered by a company with a $10,0000.00 R and D budget.
I agree with you except for the " some guy working out of a 2000 sq, foot ... " part. Some of the best mods. have been from exactly this type of guy that thinks outside the box to fix a problem.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:09 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

My 04 Deuce has what I think people are describing as the "wobble" but it is only unsettling going around an off camber turn going way faster than I should be. As the rear suspension WORKS (a bunch of little hills)through the turn, when the shocks are compressing and rebounding it can feel as the rear tire is going to loose traction. I know it isn't because I have ridden it harder two up and I am not hitting the primary cover or the frame on the right yet. The Ultra although being a 02 has the same feeling. I would rate it at maybe 10% as bad as the Deuce but not to the point of even considering the tire breaking loose. To me if this is a wobble it isn't anything I personally would worry about. If you want a brace, I would have to guess they do something that people like because of the happy customers. So, do they sell a Softail Brace?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:26 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
I've had the "wobble" experience twice on bikes with relatively low miles. It definitely was a wobble and I too am a former racer of over 25 years.
One was on my '99 Superglide Sport - pitched her into a right hander and she wobbled herself and me into the oncoming lane and all the way to the shoulder and that was from the apex. That bike had about 15K miles. Bumped the preload up and the wobble disappeared. Superglide frames are more than similar to touring frames.
The second was on my '06 Streetglide and I would rate it as "moderate". That little voice of experience was telling me that if I pushed it any further it was likely to become a painful experience. Installed a stabilizer and my confidence returned.
I do have to say that I own a '95 Eglide that has never wiggled, wobbled or otherwise caused me to pucker the vinyl like that Superglide did. Go figure.
what a coinkadink, my lowrider did it everytime I went through the same sweeping, downhill right hander a few miles from da house. well,,,, only when I was speeding.... OK, almost everytime. I just figured it was because it had close to 30K on da odometer and it was broke in. Thats just the bikes character right?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:32 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

Originally Posted by gunner11
You make a valid point here. Something to think about.
i know, I was thinking maybe those 2 guys had more common sense than the highly paid MOCO engineers. Not knocking engineers now, but I know there's alot of graduates that couldn't engineer a good fart. I mean good ole Common Sense.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:32 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree 100%. Wobble Shamobble some of these guys will buy a turd if you tell them their bike will run better. I do have to admit the guy that thought of it is awesome. If someone wants to cut me in I'll log in under about 50 different screen names and say how great it is and how the brace changed my life.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:01 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 516 Likes on 359 Posts

Is the baggerbrace and some of those products just a bandaid?

A service mngr at a Harley dealer said the root of the problem is the swing arm bushings. The factory ones are too soft (for less vibes maybe?). He thought replacing those with beefier (tech-term) aftermarket ones was the best bet. The stock ones are prone to wear out faster. Makes sense, since what those aftermarket braces stabalize is the eng/trans/swingarm arraingement.
Then of course he said the true answer was an 09 (sell sell sell)

Old 11-21-2008, 11:13 PM
troy.j
Road Captain
Talking

Originally Posted by 96 Ultra
One thing I noticed when the bike was loaded down on my trip to sturgis.
While sitting still, I would shake the handle bars and I would get this double wobble in the front end, it really concerned me for a while until I noticed that it was nothing but tire sidewall flex
YES, ITS SIDEWALL FLEX and i just happen to sell a side wall brace for your tire

Old 11-22-2008, 12:33 AM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

When I road the mountain passes in NC, SC, GA an TN at 85-95mph, I never had a problem. The roads are very smooth compared to the northern roads that heave. When you ride through the poconos to up state NY around Saranac on crappy roads at high speed you will experience the death wobble. Then come and tell us we're crazy...Not some flatlander that lives in Chicago,IL or FL, you wont get it... Go from Asheville, NC to Newport down to Gatlinburg, TN and push it. If your bike has issues, you will know quick, but the roads are in great shape compared to the northern mountain passes. I didnt have a problem. We went from DE up 476 to 81 to 17 then 30 through the Catskills and the Adirondak's. The bike was all over the place... When it hits you, its a puckering factor. Never had an issue till then. Its only a matter of time or circumstances. If you dont have the issue great, good for you. For those of us that push it a little and have the experience, dont knock us because you dont have had better luck. I have handled a wallow on numerous occasions, no big deal. That is not what I am talking about and I hope you never have the need. If your on a trip with your old lady and packed for a week going down 95 at 85-90mph going with the flow of traffic, THAT IS NOT THE TIME TO FIND OUT ABOUT THE DEATH WOBBLE THAT TAKES YOU TWO LANES OVER. Just say'n...

Old 11-22-2008, 12:47 AM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I put on a brace my wife would complain the vibration is too bad on her floorboard, similar to her feeling about the 09. I have experienced a kind of swoosh when going around a mountain corner and hitting a dip but it seemed natural and normal. I never felt out of control and don't think there is anything wrong with my bike. Sure the 09 may be more stable, I guess. I hope later years have improvements over older bikes, otherwise what's the point in looking forward to new stuff? I do not anticipate needing a brace. I just don't ride hard enough to need such a thing anymore.

spiz

Old 11-22-2008, 12:52 AM
ratcat
Tourer

So help me here guys...
My 08 Ultra handles way better than my late model Chevy pick-up,
Should I go on the Chevy Forum sights to find a fix for it? I would really like it to handle like a new Corrvette.

Quick Reply: It's not a freak'n wobble!