Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's not a freak'n wobble!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:05 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's like the oil cooler threads - someone will ask "which oil cooler works best" and a third of the replies will say that you don't need one........

Old 11-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

If a bike is older, say 6-7-8 +/- years, wouldn't it be prudent to at least change out the swingarm bushings with new ones, first. I don't mean custom, just the HD replacement factory bushings to get the bike back to original, factory riding specs. I'm thinking that putting on a stabilzer would make bad/worn bushings even worse?!?!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been trying to come up with a new business idea since we closed my wife's Interior Decorating business. Hmmmmmm, let's see, (1) create 4 or 5 new forum names +(2) create some mass hysteria over an imagined safty issue +(3) come out with a new product to fix said problem (4) market said product on HD Forums. (5)new millionaire on forbes list.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:13 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

All I have to say is try one,YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE,I was skeptical too

Old 11-21-2008, 11:21 AM
DMorr99
Road Master

Mine only wobbles after I have been drinking. I cannot figure it out. Do you think a stabilizer would help?

Old 11-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

DMORR99,

Try peeing first. Takes the wobble out naturaly!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:41 AM
scg1953
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PITA
For those of you that have made the “bagger wobble” a repetitive, common phrase on here, please consider the following...

On a regular basis, reluctant buyers come on here and ask about this wobble that they hear of on sites such as this and from bagger brace manufactuers. It seems our most common response is “sure they wobble but this brace will eliminate it”.

Now let’s define a wobble: defined it’s a pronounced quick oscillation that clearly implies instability. In the motorcycling context, particularly for those of us who have raced bikes, a wobble is often used to describe a tank slapper or a speed wobble or a death wobble. As someone who’s experienced the bars on my sportbike going stop to stop at over 100mph – I can tell you that a wobble is often uncontrollable, is downright dangerous and sometimes fatal.

In realty, without getting into the details, what some people are experiencing on Harley tourers - under the right load and circumstances and always outside of normal operating conditions - is some chassis flex or in the words of the recent Cycle World test; a “slight weave”. It IS completely controllable, and I don’t think a seasoned rider would panic if they were to encounter it. Of course, under the "duh!" category; “no weave” is better than “a slight weave” so a brace or any number of modifications that can improve handling is never a bad idea.

My RKC shares space in my garage with a Ohlins equiped Fireblade and a paralever/telelever equiped BMW. Despite its relatively humble technology, I find the Harley to be amazingly agile and fairly compentent for its size and origins. Sure it can be more stable at higher speeds, but possibly at the expense of its amazing low speed handling. Cycle World seems to agree with me, calling the ’08 RKC the best handling and most confidence inspiring bagger of the 8 that they tested in October.

So lets leave the sensationalizing to those trying to make a buck. We are not being truthfull or doing anybody a service implying that pre-09 baggers are downright unstable or even dangerous.

..there, I feel better.
Very well put... I ride a 2007 RKC and always claim NOT to have felt any wobble. Fact is that I may fall into the catagory of possibly feeling it, or thinking it was just the road, but never felt out of control at all. If I am feeling it, I guess I am just thinking it's the nature of the beast. If I would EVER have had an unsafe feeling in the slightest, I would NOT EVER put my Wife on the back. I also fall into the catagory of what I would consider a seasoned rider... maybe you have something here. I am also one to beleive that you sohuld buy a bike for the type of riding you expect to do, ie. dirt bike for off road, sport bike for high speed twisties. After all you can't expect your Caravan to handle the corners like a Viper and no one would even think to complain to the Mfg. that it dosen't. My 2 cents

Old 11-21-2008, 11:43 AM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member

wobble, flex , whatever..

Hogs Wallow and thats a fact..

mine did at 80mph coming into a big sweeper on the freeway in traffic, I hit a dip and the "slight flex" damn near high sided me.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:53 AM
timbakersr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I could articulate as well as this cat. Spoken like someone that knows what he's talk'n about.
I agree with everything you said.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:58 AM
FLHXn
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I remember when I first bought my 08 Street Glide a year ago and started reading these posts.. After riding a couple thousand miles, I had yet to experience any "wobble". When I asked some guys on here about it and they described when it happens then I said.. "OH, that?". I didin't think twice about it when I felt it. It's a big *** heavy bike and I was going 80 around a sweeping curve with my chick on back and we hit a small dip. I was surprised to find out that that tiny little deflection was the root of all these postings. Kinda crazy guys. Ride on!

Quick Reply: It's not a freak'n wobble!