Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's not a freak'n wobble!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:19 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This kinda sounds like the "you only need ABS brakes if you don't know how to ride" philosophy. If this can help you control the bike better (like ABS) at high speeds under certain conditions, why wouldn't you want it?

JMHO.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:21 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You just didn't notice the wobble because you were so worried about all that money you left behind in your wallet!

Originally Posted by soos
I must have the only '06 EGC that doesn't have a wobble. The first morning of my 7 day vacation of the Canadian maritimes had me starting out at 5:30 am, 2 up fully loaded and leaving in a down pour. I had a ferry to catch by 8 am. 25 miles out I realized I forgot my wallet. I turned around and went back for it. 75 plus mph and I couldn't see the highway for the downpour. Back on the road, I out ran the rain line. Now pushing 85-90 mph fully loaded 2 up rolling along very smoothly. No wobble, no nothing. She handled like a dream and for the remaining days of my vacation, not a single handling problem. I must be one of the lucky few.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Cowracer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by petemac
This kinda sounds like the "you only need ABS brakes if you don't know how to ride" philosophy. If this can help you control the bike better (like ABS) at high speeds under certain conditions, why wouldn't you want it?

JMHO.
Because the abs system can fail. if you never learn the proper method of panic stopping and simply rely on the electronics to save your bacon, then what are you gonna do in a panic situation when the abs failed, or if you forget your riding your buddys bike without abs. If you learn AND PRACTICE the proper method, the only thing you have to worry about failing is your synaptic systems, and if they fail, you got bigger problems that slamming into a errent buick.

I think the purpose of the post is not to tell people they dont need a brace, its to calm the hysteria of people reading these posts who think their bagger is out to kill them.

Tim

Old 11-21-2008, 10:25 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac

JMHO.
Exactly my thoughts.

I've had the "wobble" happen many times when riding hard........and if a Bagger Brace can fix this, I'll take it.

Steve

Old 11-21-2008, 10:32 AM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on PITA, my thoughts exactly.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the purpose of the post is not to tell people they dont need a brace, its to calm the hysteria of people reading these posts who think their bagger is out to kill them.
That's what I read also.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

Good topic. I have a 2005 Ultra Classic. I have never experienced any wobble in the sense of the Harley vernacular.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:53 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said, PITA. I've only heard it called life-threatening by those who have experienced unscheduled lane changes, but for me it was just uncomfortable.

What is the term for when it feels like the rear tire is going flat in a corner? Same sensation at when a heavy load shifts in a pickup when cornering, or driving a half-loaded water truck? That's what I called "wallow" and one of the sensations commonly referred to as "wobble". What is the correct term?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:53 AM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree about it not being a "wobble" that would be in the bars. My 01 had the feeling like it was "hinged" in the middle and was worse loaded and 2up. I have 3 buddies with 07 or 08 SGs and they have to push hard through the twisties to feel anything unusual. I know they changed the swingarm and bushings in 02 and that may help to stiffen the swingarm.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 AM
hawg50
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrodsandharleys73
I agree about it not being a "wobble" that would be in the bars. My 01 had the feeling like it was "hinged" in the middle and was worse loaded and 2up. I have 3 buddies with 07 or 08 SGs and they have to push hard through the twisties to feel anything unusual. I know they changed the swingarm and bushings in 02 and that may help to stiffen the swingarm.
this is why i bought a stabilizer.not necessarily dangerous,but makes me feel more secure.

Last edited by hawg50; 11-21-2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: more post

Quick Reply: It's not a freak'n wobble!