Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's not a freak'n wobble!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4
That's nice but they wobble at 70.
90% of the riders don't experience a wobble. Of the 10% that do feel something they don't describe it the same. They just feel something. The following of the imperfections in the pavement ain't it, the fairing wobble ain't it. The case of the HPD crash sounds like a fairing wobble when he passed the truck. The guy that crashed in the other link wasn't going fast like most say is "when they feel it". Also the crash happen where other MC and cars crashed. The person being interviewed said mostly MC's. Were they all HD's? I doubt it. If you want one buy it, but these bikes are not deathtraps waiting to kill us. It's the TBW that's waiting to kill us, no wait it's the ABS.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:39 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Trock
90% of the riders don't experience a wobble. Of the 10% that do feel something they don't describe it the same. They just feel something. The following of the imperfections in the pavement ain't it, the fairing wobble ain't it. The case of the HPD crash sounds like a fairing wobble when he passed the truck. The guy that crashed in the other link wasn't going fast like most say is "when they feel it". Also the crash happen where other MC and cars crashed. The person being interviewed said mostly MC's. Were they all HD's? I doubt it. If you want one buy it, but these bikes are not deathtraps waiting to kill us. It's t he TBW that's waiting to kill us, no wait it's the ABS.
I think if you read the posts again, most of us describe largely the same circumstances. Actually I think there are at least two sets of duplicatable circumstances. One the police describe going over a hundred and the bikes get upset and the other most of us that have had the experience with, which usually goes something like 70 MPH in a right hand sweeper and a bump or dip in the road upsets the suspension geometry.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Desoto
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
Don't know how long you've been riding, or what speed you normally ride, but if you're happy with riding the speed limit, and never loading your bike down for a long trip, then I'm happy for ya. I wasn't holding HD responsible for anything other than producing a bike that can get shakey/squirrely when ridden hard with excessive weight in corners, bumpy roads, sweepers, etc... I'm merely acknowledging that the infamous "wobble" DOES IN FACT EXIST!
If you haven't experienced it, so much the better, ride on and ride safe. But everyone on here isn't doing 55 two up with 10 lbs loaded in each bag. If a stabilizer can cure that issue, why wouldn't you put one on? Can it get scary when a tank slapper occurs? Of course! But saying you shouldn't be going 95-100 in the first place isn't an acceptable answer to many of us. This forum has a wide range of members, and very few ride the same. There are many who love the nice slow cruise and scenery ride, and there are a lot that love to carve the canyons, drag your floorboards, and scrape the kickstand shooting sparks back to the knucklehead behind you. I'm merely offering one more opinion to the many that have been listed. Ride safe my friend, and I hope you never loose a finger in the lawn mower, or experience the "wobble".
I haven't said that the wobble doesn't exist. And if the brace improve the handling, by all mean buy one. I'm only saying that Harley should not be held accountable for the "missuse" of their bikes. By missuse I mean riding the bike overloaded or outside the limits of the law and/or hte bikes intended purpose. Like I would not sue the mower manufacturer for loosing a finger.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:35 PM
DeckerDude
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cowracer

I think the purpose of the post is not to tell people they dont need a brace, its to calm the hysteria of people reading these posts who think their bagger is out to kill them.

Tim
Well said !!

Old 11-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Big Jake
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PITA - You are right on. I have not ever had a wobble issue and never considered buying a brace. To each his own, for me I will save my money for something that suits me

Old 11-28-2008, 06:02 AM
lmb1485
Tourer

had the wobble happen to me in a left hand curve going about 70.went back and checked the road out, I cound feel ripples in the road in the spot I was tracking.noone knows what its like until it happens to you.People can say whatever they want but I can only relate to the ones that have experienced it themselves.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:00 AM
DeckerDude
Road Master

Originally Posted by StrongIslander
Just because my RKC can do 115mph doesn't mean I should do it on a decreasing radius turn with uneven pavement and tar snakes.

Ya' learn something new everyday !!

Old 11-29-2008, 08:22 AM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Deckerdude, I just saw your signature picture. I used to go to that gas station as a little kid. Very cool that it's been restored. My grandparents were from that town and I remember the Soulsbys that owned the station. I know that I "wobbled" off topic, but I got excited when I saw the pic.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:12 PM
richy rich
Intermediate

I was just talking to a Harley mechanic about the "wobble" that I feel on my 08SG.First thing he asked was what size tires & wheels do I run.I said 21" front,18" rear.He didnt like my Metzler 160 rear tire,said it couldn't handle the weight of the Bagger??I just rented a 09SG in Vegas last week.105-110mph with not a hint of a wobble.So ya some bikes have the wobble[could be because of the mods like me]Some don't.But for those of you that dont have the wobble-hey thats great!Im Jelous-LOL!!!,But I can honestly say Ive ridden both types of bikes,& it sucks!!Its NOT a rider problem!!!!It is there!!!Now where do I get this frame cross bar thing??

Old 12-07-2008, 03:43 PM
RKTonyC
Advanced

First of all, thank you for the original post. I have found that all too many times when somone asks a question regarding any type of unexpected movement, the "buy this" posts come out, as well as the "its supposed to do that" appear as well. This is so frustrating when you are trying to figure out a fix (not add-on anything) to a real problem.

Last year my 04 FHLRSI began to give me some irregular handing, especially in the front. It was a slight wobble or wiggle in the front tire, something that wasnt effecting the handlebars, but you could feel the front tire and wheel basically "wiggle" at certain times while riding at lower speeds. It followed the ruts and road snakes more, so since the tires were worn, I decided to change them. After putting on new tires, the "wiggle" was more prominent. So, I posted (on other boards, before I found this one) about what this could be. The landslide of stabilizer and other posts came on, with none addressing the problem I was having.

To me it was indeed a wobble of sorts, but nothing that I was considered as being a problem with the design or anything plaguing the model. It was just what I thought it felt like the front wheel was doing. I didnt want to "buy" anything, I just wanted to service the problem. I was riding to work last week, and while slowing down for an off ramp, felt the front wheel wobble like crazy, which definately made me take notice. I was glad there were others who helped me figure out that the steering head needed to be greased and adjusted, which I have recently done to fix the problem.

And just to complain a little more, I really wish that people who do not know a certain model or whats involved in fixing a certain bike would not post their ideas or suggestions on something they dont really know about, or just repeat what the manual says. Even though I know they mean well, and are just trying to help. The reason Im saying this is when I asked about servicing the steering head (again, not here) which I never had done before, the responses of "just tighten the stem nut" came flying. When I stated that the nut was torqued properly and asked about where the star adjuster was, and how to adjust it, etc, or what the break down of the steering neck was, the thread went dead.

Anyway, thats my rant. And thanks to everyone here for all the experince and useable help!

Quick Reply: It's not a freak'n wobble!